Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4527
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by earthling » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:39 pm

grovester wrote:
earthling wrote:^Good to hear he noted it but needs to do it beyond a tweet. And yeah, I do agree he has really elevated things since worthless Funkhouser. He deserves recognition but not for Google fiber or downtown population increase.
No, he doesn't. Just keep touting KC and Google and let others worry about the minutiae of glossy magazine puff pieces.
Yeah, Newsweak is infotainment but James will likely use the recognition in the future. I know I would if a national rag calls me a top 5 innovative person in the field. Sounds like he acknowledges the error. He has a great practical mind that gets things done, which could go further in politics. Most people would likely reference once being called top 5 most innovative mayor if running for higher office.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by grovester » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:51 pm

earthling wrote:
grovester wrote:
earthling wrote:^Good to hear he noted it but needs to do it beyond a tweet. And yeah, I do agree he has really elevated things since worthless Funkhouser. He deserves recognition but not for Google fiber or downtown population increase.
No, he doesn't. Just keep touting KC and Google and let others worry about the minutiae of glossy magazine puff pieces.
Yeah, Newsweak is infotainment but James will likely use the recognition in the future. I know I would if a national rag calls me a top 5 innovative person in the field. Sounds like he acknowledges the error. He has a great practical mind that gets things done, which could go further in politics. Most people would likely reference once being called top 5 most innovative mayor if running for higher office.
And by the time the full story of Google and KC is written, he will either get the credit or the blame, regardless of whether he was there at the very beginning.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by kboish » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:43 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... up-on.html

Sly seems to be adeptly handling this situation thus far. Actually reaching out to other cities and trying to make an amicable agreement. not rocket science, but you certainly don't see it often.

User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3285
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by chaglang » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:10 am

kboish wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... up-on.html

Sly seems to be adeptly handling this situation thus far. Actually reaching out to other cities and trying to make an amicable agreement. not rocket science, but you certainly don't see it often.
He does seem to be better at working with other local mayors than any KC mayor that I can remember.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4527
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by earthling » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:13 pm

Another article on Sly from person who aided the Newsweek selection...

http://www.governing.com/blogs/bfc/col- ... fiber.html

User avatar
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square
Posts: 2920
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by bbqboy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Whiny ass comments after the article. Priceless.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by kboish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:23 pm

http://www.facebook.com/notes/mayor-sly ... 0911867728
The City of Kansas City has selected former Missouri Senator and Governor Christopher “Kit” Bond to serve as its federal lobbyist...

As the streetcar project progresses, his experience working with the KCATA on transportation issues will be a tremendous asset....

“I am proud to say that Kansas City will be the only governmental entity Kit Bond Strategies will represent,” said Mayor James...
This should be lucrative for the city.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4527
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by earthling » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Good move. MAX bus might not exist without him.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by aknowledgeableperson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:42 pm

This should be lucrative for the city.
And to Bond.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by kboish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:50 pm

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
This should be lucrative for the city.
And to Bond.
I knew that wording was going to get a response from someone.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by aknowledgeableperson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:01 pm

Yes, when the door is opened expect someone to go through the opening.

TheBigChuckbowski
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3309
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:36 pm
Location: Longfellow

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by TheBigChuckbowski » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:09 pm

Do a lot of cities have lobbyists?

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 12247
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:31 pm

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by aknowledgeableperson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:10 pm

Yes, at both the state and federal levels.

User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by KCMax » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:10 pm

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Do a lot of cities have lobbyists?
Yes. St. Louis hires Bracy, Tucker & Brown.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3840
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by loftguy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:23 pm

I am glad to be on this forum, where the cynical response to the announcement of Kit becoming a lobbyist for the city, is good natured.

This may be a monumental move, for Kansas City.

User avatar
Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 pm
Location: Downtown KCMO

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by Eon Blue » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:03 pm

If a guy has TWO major river bridges named after him before he's in the ground, it's a good sign that he knows how to bring home the bacon.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3702
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by grovester » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:12 pm

Imagine how depressing it would have been to hear he had been hired by St. Louis.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by kboish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Eon Blue wrote:If a guy has TWO major river bridges named after him before he's in the ground, it's a good sign that he knows how to bring home the bacon.

Are you Mike Hendricks or did he steal your line? :D or did you read that on the star website before posting? the time stamp for both is 6:03 pm

From the Star article:
While in the Senate, Bond was known for his keen ability to bring home the bacon. That his name is on not one but two Missouri highway bridges is testament to that
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/02/39 ... byist.html

(nothing new in the article btw)

User avatar
Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 pm
Location: Downtown KCMO

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by Eon Blue » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:58 am

kboish wrote:Are you Mike Hendricks or did he steal your line? :D or did you read that on the star website before posting? the time stamp for both is 6:03 pm

From the Star article:
While in the Senate, Bond was known for his keen ability to bring home the bacon. That his name is on not one but two Missouri highway bridges is testament to that
http://www.kansascity.com/2013/01/02/39 ... byist.html

(nothing new in the article btw)
Hah! I saw the same line this morning. Judging off the timestamps (Star posted @ 11:23 PM on 1/2), maybe I have a career as a ghostwriter in my future? Or maybe Hendricks reads the rag? :D

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:47 am

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by pash » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:53 pm

.
Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply