Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Kansas City has a new mayor - Sly James

Post by earthling »

Newsweek recognizes Sly as 1 of 5 most innovative Mayors. They are not so correctly giving him credit for Google Fiber, which KCK brought first and downtown population boom, which happened before him. But he is making things happen on many levels beyond that. They probably should have given a joint recognition to Reardon as well.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2 ... l#comments
Raytown Phoenix
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Raytown Phoenix »

Don't forget his biggest prize... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT_hOi_ZHGA
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Raytown Phoenix wrote:Don't forget his biggest prize... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT_hOi_ZHGA
:roll:
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

While Google was originally planned for just KCK, Sly likely worked behind the scenes to get KCMO included. Not sure what the whole story is but credit him for getting it across the state line and running with it. What a polar opposite from the dour Mr Gloom known as Mark Funkhouser. History will remember our city spent most of the recession with the human recession as mayor.

Had Funk still been mayor we would have likely gotten this quote:"My current TW cable is plenty fast for me so don't see any need to tear up our streets for something new".
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

While Google was originally planned for just KCK, Sly likely worked behind the scenes to get KCMO included. Not sure what the whole story is but credit him for getting it across the state line and running with it. What a polar opposite from the dour Mr Gloom known as Mark Funkhouser. History will remember our city spent most of the recession with the human recession as mayor.

Had Funk still been mayor we would have likely gotten this quote:"My current TW cable is plenty fast for me so don't see any need to tear up our streets for something new".
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^Maybe google just made the mistake that the more Vibrant and Larger KC was in Missouri, for all we know they might not even have known a Kansas City Missouri even existed
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pash wrote:Given the way in which things have progressed, I would be slightly surprised to learn KCMO wasn't involved with the Google Fiber project from the beginning. It's likely that circumstances just made it easier to get a deal done in KCK, and Google wanted to make an announcement before it had put pen to paper on its deal with KCMO.
That's how I read the tea leaves.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^However I think Google selected KCK just before Sly was elected, so he wasn't involved in the process. Sly may have had a hand in getting it in KCMO afterwards, but Google probably would have done it anyway.

Either way, Sly should correct Newsweek and give Reardon the credit for Google.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if goggle just screwed up and thought the bigger, more vibrant and diverse city was in Kansas. Regular people do not really care or want to learn geography.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Probably not but even if so, the announcement was about same time Sly was elected. The decision was likely before Sly. Sly shouldn't get credit for this. Reardon had direct negotiations with Google. Sly needs to come out and give Reardon the credit or reject the Newsweek recognition.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

earthling wrote:Sly may have had a hand in getting it in KCMO afterwards, but Google probably would have done it anyway.

A large and inappropriate assumption.

There were a number of key persons, both inside city hall and out, that performed a full court press on Google to look at a bigger picture including KCMo. Google obviously had to be receptive, but the courtship, the professionalism, the determination by a key group made this our reality. Sly was and is driving factor in this and other advances the city is making.

I've yet to determine the depth of the Mayors role in the streetcar creation, but city hall has moved on this decision and action at warp-speed compared to anything else I have ever experienced with the city of Kansas City. This has come on the heels of the empowerment that Googlefiber represents inside of 12th and Oak.

Sly............... reject nothing, withhold apology, keep moving forward.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^My point was that Sly did not play a role in getting Google to the metro area. He won the election about same time Google announced KCK so was not at all involved in the process that took over a year before him. Reardon was involved. Google announced KCMO a few months later if I recall - Google may have been considering KCMO long before Sly. Sly should definitely acknowledge that he did not play a role in getting Google into KC area. KCMO later maybe but not KC area to start with. Newsweek implies Sly got Google to KC area, which is not true.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

You know when Dr. Bruce Banner would get angry and would begin the transformation into the Hulk?

Well, I'm feeling the irreverent equivilant to the Hulk churning within me.

Kind of the same feeling I get when I walk into a place where the Fox network or Rush Limbaugh is on.............

Aaarggh!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google selected KCK in March 2011. Sly James was elected in March and sworn in May 1, 2011. Google announced KCMO May 17, 2011, likely decided before then. So how was he involved getting Google into KC metro? Would be surprising if he also managed to be the key factor getting to KCMO within a couple weeks after being sworn in, possible though. Was he involved before becoming mayor maybe? If so, I wasn't aware. Am otherwise wondering why you consider what I said a 'large and inappropriate assumption' as it's more likely the case than not.

Sly is doing a great job and is kickstarting more action. I voted for him and like him a lot but he should not take credit for Google fiber or the downtown population increase. A couple Star articles also point this out.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

earthling wrote:Google selected KCK in March 2011. Sly James was elected in March and sworn in May 1, 2011. Google announced KCMO May 17, 2011, likely decided before then. So how was he involved getting Google into KC metro? Would be surprising if he also managed to be the key factor getting to KCMO in less than a month after being sworn in, possible though. Was he involved before becoming mayor maybe? If so, I wasn't aware. Am otherwise wondering why you consider what I said a 'large and inappropriate assumption' as it's more likely the case than not.

Sly is doing a great job and is kickstarting more action. I voted for him and like him a lot but he should not take credit for Google fiber or the downtown population increase.

He didn't, it was given to him by Newsweek. He tweeted that several other people actually should get the credit for Google Fiber coming to KCMO. However, I am glad that he got mentioned. He does deserve a lot of credit for what he has done with only a little over a year and half of his first term. Mainly, he recognized in order for KCMO to thrive there are many things that need to be done and not just the basics (roads and parks), but also the far more larger and more impactful projects like the streetcar. However, it's not only the recognition, but his fully supporting these ideas and campaigning for them as well that made a huge difference in getting things done.

With the Funk it felt like the dark ages and with Sly it feels like KC has entered into a renaissance.
Last edited by Pork Chop on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Good to hear he noted it but needs to do it beyond a tweet. And yeah, I do agree he has really elevated things since worthless Funkhouser. He deserves recognition but not for Google fiber or downtown population increase.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

earthling wrote:^Good to hear he noted it but needs to do it beyond a tweet. And yeah, I do agree he has really elevated things since worthless Funkhouser. He deserves recognition but not for Google fiber or downtown population increase.
No, he doesn't. Just keep touting KC and Google and let others worry about the minutiae of glossy magazine puff pieces.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

This thread has got me to thinking and there are some things that are, well, making me uncomfortable.

I guess it starts with potty training. I got all kinds of accolades, you know, like "oh, what a good boy!" Well, I didn't deserve it. Truth be known, it just kind of happened. Yeah, there it is. I don't know what else to say. I am really sorry, though.

And that graduation from kindergarden thing. I didn't really "graduate". They just kind of pushed me on. I didn't know what to say, or do. Jeez, I was only five. Lame excuse, but true.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid. There's been a lot of coasting going on. I'll have to get back to you.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Not following your analogy... are you saying that since it was handed to him to followup with it's OK for him to take the implied credit?

A better analogy would be a restaurant that is given a James Beard award, they checked the place out 6 months earlier but later they get a new chef just before print time and mention the new chef's name instead of the one who lead at the time.