Pet licensing sweep

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Pet licensing sweep

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Don't bank on it.  How many insurance companies actually do a complete inspection before insuring?  How many fire departments actually inspect every house?  How many mortgage companies come out and walk through the house before committing to granting a mortgage?
If the insurance co has to carry the additional fixed, recurring costs of paying for the fire fighting, an inspection for fire risks makes much more economic sense then when the government tit is bearing those costs. 
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Back to animal control - it seems like these employees should be out looking for organized dog & cock fights.  Or helping those people with six million cats.

I remember a friend of my father's raised fighting cocks.  And he was a fairly prominent citizen in KC.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If the insurance co has to carry the additional fixed, recurring costs of paying for the fire fighting, an inspection for fire risks makes much more economic sense then when the government tit is bearing those costs. 
Then I would suggest that move move out into the country someplace where all they have is a volunteer fire department (you don't have to move that far from KC for that) or if far enough out no one responds to a fire except maybe the forest service.

More economic sense your way?  Maybe not.  Just think of the multiple fire departments maintained by the insurance companies, might even have stations next door to each other.

it seems like these employees should be out looking for organized dog & cock fights.  Or helping those people with six million cats
If there was a big enough staff to do that.  Limited staff and resources means something doesn't get done.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
If there was a big enough staff to do that.  Limited staff and resources means something doesn't get done.
Hmm.  Maybe the priorities need to be adjusted.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Nope.  You seem to think that there is an unlimited staff for animal control.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

No, I think he's saying that ticketing people for not having licenses for pets should be a lower priority than breaking up dogfighting rings.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

mean wrote: No, I think he's saying that ticketing people for not having licenses for pets should be a lower priority than breaking up dogfighting rings.
Seems like I can think of 500 things that are bigger issues in this city than having unlicensed pets....and yeah, basic animal cruelty and dog fighting would be in that list.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

mean wrote: No, I think he's saying that ticketing people for not having licenses for pets should be a lower priority than breaking up dogfighting rings.
And I guess KCMO is just loaded with all sorts of animal fighting.  Whereas there appears to be a large number of unlicensed pets.  Catch the pet license violators and with those additional fees additional staff can be hired to go around looking for dog and cock fights.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

I think you missed the whole point.

44 people dead in KC this year.
Major public transit cuts.
Crappy roads.
Sewers that need to be replaced.
Schools that have been unaccredited for more than a decade.

And during the most recent budget talks, Animal Control remained completely uncut -- so they can go check on pet licenses? What is this city doing?

And even when it comes to AC, this shouldn't exactly be a top priority for them. We have multiple organizations out there trying to help dogs chained in back yards in miserable conditions (doing AC's job for them), stray dogs all over the place in this city and they don't have the resources to deal with any of that but licensing -- sure.

It doesn't make any sense that THIS is apparently the one thing the city has money to focus on.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

midtown guy wrote: I think you missed the whole point.
NO, you are missing the point.

KCMO, much like any other government has given itself many responsibilities which its citizens want it to have.  Whether you like it or not there are citizens in KCMO who feel that animal control is a vital service the city can provide its citizens.  And the city's budget reflects the interests of the city as a whole through its elected officials.  In these tough budget times it would have been very easy to not fund animal control if this was not a popular service.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I imagine that the City gets as many complaints about animals as it does about anything else.  If you have a neighbor with a dog barking all night, or the smell of dog shit drifting into your house, you complain to the city.
There is no fifth destination.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

FangKC wrote: I imagine that the City gets as many complaints about animals as it does about anything else.  If you have a neighbor with a dog barking all night, or the smell of dog shit drifting into your house, you complain to the city.
I wonder how many calls they get complaining about unlicensed pets?

Also Aknowledgable person - -if you read the comments about this here, on the KMBC site, and when it was released the buzz on facebook, at this point, you're the only person I've found that thinks this is a good idea.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

midtown guy wrote: I wonder how many calls they get complaining about unlicensed pets?

Also Aknowledgable person - -if you read the comments about this here, on the KMBC site, and when it was released the buzz on facebook, at this point, you're the only person I've found that thinks this is a good idea.
I also haven't found a single 'real life' person (offline!) who thinks that this is a good idea. Remember, these officers work for us instead of the other way around. When their behavior is considered unnecessary or almost as harassment by most folks, support for them (and by extension city hall) begins to drop. It's bad politics. It's a waste of resources. It's a waste of city budget. It's not what we've hired these folks to be doing for us.

Hey, if they'd have first rounded up all the stray cats & dogs (some injured) in my neighborhood, I'd probably be a bit less peeved about this whole thing. But no... they leave that job to the city bus drivers. Splat.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

pet licensing has nothing to do with "animal control."  it's people control.  animal control should be out picking up stray animals and rescuing abused animals, not harrassing pet owners to see whether they've paid the city $10 for the privilege of owning an animal in city limits.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote: pet licensing has nothing to do with "animal control."  it's people control.  animal control should be out picking up stray animals and rescuing abused animals, not harrassing pet owners to see whether they've paid the city $10 for the privilege of owning an animal in city limits.
I would disagree to a certain extent. Licensing your pet is part of responsible ownership. How many of those strays are just lost pets from bad pet owners not responsible enough to handle pet ownership? And how many of those strays - if licensed and tagged correctly could be returned to their irresponsible owners? I would say a good portion.

I'm not agreeing with AKP. I'm just saying there are advantages to properly license animals that actually improve the welfare of the animals. It's not just about paying the city $10 for owning an animal.

By the way - I'm guessing the animal control budget is somehow linked to pet registration money. I'm not sure about that - just a guess.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

midtown guy wrote: Also Aknowledgable person - -if you read the comments about this here, on the KMBC site, and when it was released the buzz on facebook, at this point, you're the only person I've found that thinks this is a good idea.
Where we they when the city's budget was put together?  Are they complaining to the council or just venting on a forum?  If they actually want a change then go to the people that make the decision.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I don't necessarily agree with the sweep, but it is quite surprising how many think it's OK not to license their pets.  It is the law whether you like it or not.  If you dislike the law, talk to your councilpersons about changing it.  If there were not large numbers of unlicensed pets in the city, this sweep would be unnecessary.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I figure civil disobedience in the face of really stupid laws is just fine.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

As I said before, I support licensing pets because it shows responsible pet ownership (hopefully).  Has anybody ever watched the show on Animal Planet about animal control officers.  It was called Animal Cops or something.  You'd be surprised what they deal with. 

And, trust me, there are dog and cock fights in KC. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

what do dogfights, stupid owners letting their dogs run around everywhere, or stray dogs have to do with me and whether i've paid the city $10 to license my dog? 

i'm a responsible pet owner whether i pay the city $10 or not.  morons are irresponsible pet owners whether they've paid the city $10 or not.  "licensing" you dog does not = responsibility any more than having a driver's license means youre a good driver.