Rankings, lists, and such

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Rankings, lists, and such

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote:If I recall, the practice of using flavored sauces in BBQ originally developed among poor people seeking to improve the experience of cooking with lower-quality meat. It was all they could afford, and they were not the best cuts. So those cooking them hoped to make them more palatable by slathering them with tasty sauces. Over time, that element was expanded to include sauces in the cooking of all types of meat.
Partly the case. BBQ is attributed to low income who could only afford poor cuts of meat and found that slow cooking made it more tender. Smoking it gave it more flavor. Sauces came later. That is, you can put a tasty sauce on poor cut of meat that isn't slow cooked and it isn't BBQ.

And BBQ was likely influenced by native Americans (North and South) who slow cooked meat in deep pits for thousands of years.

Yeah I know, I'm getting carried away with downplaying sauce as a role but I do like sauce and love to experiment with it. Just expressing the case (maybe overstating) for those who think sauce is secondary as I agree.

Another KC debate... grilling vs BBQ'ing. Most other BBQ cities don't know the difference, KC purists do. Leave it for the BBQ thread I guess.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:
FangKC wrote:...slow cooked meat in deep pits for thousands of years.
That is another level of dedication to the craft
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think the first things that were used to enhance cooking were salt, chives, and onions. Onions and chives (technically from the onion family -- genus allium) grow in the wild, and survive winter, so they could still be gathered in cold weather. They didn't require any formal agriculture to be available. Salt was also used to preserve meat and other food.

So in the winter, onions and chives were among the few things that could be gathered an added to hunted meat.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

One of best cities to celebrate St Patty's Day. I didn't realize KC was 10% Irish, its one of the top Irish cities in the country.
https://blog.niche.com/portfolio_item/b ... ricks-day/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

According to Pat O'Neill, author of From the bottom up : the story of the Irish in Kansas City, the Kansas City area was one of the few inland metros that had more Irish immigrants than German.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Worked with some guys from Ireland based company last decade that were in our KC office for several months off and on over a few years. They were very irritated by Americans calling themselves Irish - emphatically annoyed... 'no you are American'. But was OK to say 'of Irish descent'. And listening to them on the phone to office in Ireland was wild... a couple times we heard one yell out... 'no you fucking cunt' or 'you fucking faggot'. HR had to spend some time with a couple of them - one never came back.

So if you are American born from Irish descent, best to call yourself 'of Irish descent' - maybe ditto for any nationality descent in front of someone from your country of origin.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

i kind of get annoyed by all the overkill with the irish flags and stuff around dogtown here in st. louis. people try to actively act-up the irish stereotype, really, but there is something real to the working class irish-american urban culture. but, it's something of its own beast.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

warwickland wrote:i kind of get annoyed by all the overkill with the irish flags and stuff around dogtown here in st. louis. people try to actively act-up the irish stereotype, really, but there is something real to the working class irish-american urban culture. but, it's something of its own beast.
It's about profit

alcohol is profit at most places
Irish-centric events always involve drinking.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

flyingember wrote:
warwickland wrote:i kind of get annoyed by all the overkill with the irish flags and stuff around dogtown here in st. louis. people try to actively act-up the irish stereotype, really, but there is something real to the working class irish-american urban culture. but, it's something of its own beast.
It's about profit

alcohol is profit at most places
Irish-centric events always involve drinking.
not talking about events specifically, more day-to-day stuff. people want to act like they live in "southie," or something.

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC barely makes this list for startups. It sounds like metros given they say 'Bay Area' but for KC, seems they are listing KCMO stats, not metro.

http://www.1776.vc/reports/innovation-t ... ters-2016/
http://www.1776.vc/reports/innovation-t ... nsas-City/

A somewhat related quote...
Millennials repopulating old urban neighborhoods may be the first step to launching Kansas City's startup scene. The city reported one of the fastest rates of increase in young people already within the region's vicinity moving into dense, urban neighborhoods (6th).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

This Industry Week article claims KC is second largest auto manufacturing hub...
http://m.industryweek.com/expansion-man ... -expanding
Kansas City (KC) is the country’s second largest auto hub. And its history of auto production dates back to 1913 when Henry Ford chose this region for production making it the company’s first investment outside of Detroit.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote:This Industry Week article claims KC is second largest auto manufacturing hub...
Kansas City (KC) is the country’s second largest auto hub. And its history of auto production dates back to 1913 when Henry Ford chose this region for production making it the company’s first investment outside of Detroit.
When I flew Sprit Airlines a couple weeks ago on the cheap Detroit to KC flights, lots of the people on the flight were Auto Workers that come home to detroit for the weekend. Seems like some still choose to stay there or keep families in Detroit then just rent out a cheap Apt here. I've also met a lot of auto workers from Wisconsin, they use to have some factories in Janesville and the Beloit/Rockford area but think they all closed up
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Thu May 19, 2016 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I've noticed an uptick in Michigan car plates too, especially in Northland.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote:This Industry Week article claims KC is second largest auto manufacturing hub...
If only we could attract a tesla factory... wouldn't that be an announcement to transform the run down blue valley industrial area. I'd even take it by the airport.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote:
If only we could attract a tesla factory... wouldn't that be an announcement to transform the run down blue valley industrial area. I'd even take it by the airport.
That would be the least useful car company to come in right now.

Tesla sold about 15,000 cars in all of Q1. that's 5,000 per month.
The Ford F-series alone, which KC is one of two plants making it, sold 70,000 just last month.

If we want a modern electric car plant look at Toyota. Prius sells at 6x Tesla and we could see a plant ready for their 6th gen vehicle.
Last edited by flyingember on Thu May 19, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

And Tesla is losing a lot per car. Some sources say losing $4K per car, others say $19K per car. Not something for KC to mess with (if asking for city help) until they are more stable.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Don't forget, this region use to have three auto plants. As plants closed union workers could bump workers from other plants that has less seniority. That could be the reason for Michigan plates.
Isn't Harley HQ'd in Michigan?