Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by flyingember » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:42 am

RMA and FSA have their office at 63rd and 435 near Swope Park.

There’s TONS of empty land in that development to put a second building up and it has the benefit for them that they could use the same security team for both sites.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by normalthings » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:26 pm

That could be a good site. I would think something downtown would be a better sell to people moving from D.C. though.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13828
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by FangKC » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:00 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:56 pm
This would be a nice get and it would be great if Kansas and Missouri could work on this together. Most of these positions are PHD level type jobs.
Wonder if USDA lobbying companies would set up offices in the new location as well.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 94635.html
What about the former Gateway Computers building down in the West Bottoms? It was built over the state line with about half the building on each side.

https://tinyurl.com/ybywef9p

There are other locations where a building could be constructed half-and-half on the state line as well. There is a parcel in Cambridge Business Park off I-35; another along Southwest Boulevard, and even in South Kansas City at the Bi-State Business Park at 141st Terrace near State Line Road.

This way tax revenues could be split among the states/counties/cities.

User avatar
KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:53 am

I am not completely sure this falls in the the border war category, but Avenue Logistics (based out of Chicago) is looking for incentives to put 80 new jobs in the Crossroads at 18th and McGee. They currently have an office in OP. I am not sure how many are currently employed at the OP location and whether the Crossroads would be an expansion or relocation.

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2460
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Broadway/Gilham according to google maps

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by brewcrew1000 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:02 pm

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:53 am
I am not completely sure this falls in the the border war category, but Avenue Logistics (based out of Chicago) is looking for incentives to put 80 new jobs in the Crossroads at 18th and McGee. They currently have an office in OP. I am not sure how many are currently employed at the OP location and whether the Crossroads would be an expansion or relocation.
Lol, i cracked up when i saw the career page and it says "join us" Chicago/Kansas - Maybe if they relocate to Crossroads it can finally add the City part.

https://avenuelogistics.com/#careers

User avatar
KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Tue May 07, 2019 11:01 am

Kansas City is one of three finalists to land the relocation of two USDA research agencies (the other two are Indiana and The Research Triangle).

"The congressional delegations from Kansas and Missouri went in on it together." So I'm guessing the two agencies might be split on state lines.

253 Economic Research Service and 315 National Institute of Food and Agriculture jobs are set to be relocated.

Good to see both sides working together to bring new jobs to the region, rather than fighting over existing jobs in the area.

https://www.harvestpublicmedia.org/post ... iana-top-3

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/workforc ... -concerns/

kboish
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2489
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:25 am
Location: West Plaza

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by kboish » Tue May 07, 2019 11:07 am

I hope it’s not split up. I’d love to see this kick start East Village. Federal jobs have a mandate to locate in urban core.

Alternatively I could see this going in the old EPA building in KCK. (I can’t remember if that building has been filled yet )

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 864
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by TheLastGentleman » Tue May 07, 2019 11:28 am

EPA building is becoming part of ku med IIRC

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by flyingember » Tue May 07, 2019 12:22 pm

kboish wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:07 am
I hope it’s not split up. I’d love to see this kick start East Village. Federal jobs have a mandate to locate in urban core.
The USDA is at 63rd and 435. Their definition of urban core might not be what you think.

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10784
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by mean » Tue May 07, 2019 5:32 pm

flyingember wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:22 pm
kboish wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:07 am
I hope it’s not split up. I’d love to see this kick start East Village. Federal jobs have a mandate to locate in urban core.
The USDA is at 63rd and 435. Their definition of urban core might not be what you think.
And the EPA is at 112th and Renner. Where there is basically no transit available. THE EPA.

Not that anybody took the bus there when it was slightly more feasible in downtown KCK, parking lot was always full of SUVs.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13828
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by FangKC » Tue May 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Missouri is now 24th.
Kansas is now 29th.

Kansas drops the most, Missouri rises second-most in ranking of top states for business
...
According to the magazine's 2019 "Best and Worst States for Business" survey, Kansas appears to be headed in the wrong direction while Missouri is improving.

The Sunflower State experienced the greatest change in its year-over-year ranking, falling 10 spots to No. 29. Alabama dropped eight spots, which was the third-biggest change.

The Show-Me State, Nebraska and Nevada tied for the second-biggest increase and fourth-biggest change, moving up six spots. Missouri jumped from 30th in 2018 to 24th in 2019.
...
https://tinyurl.com/y5h9oll8

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4863
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by earthling » Tue May 14, 2019 5:36 pm

^Kansas was clearly hurt by the Brownback era and might take time for new regime to turn things around - if they even can.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by flyingember » Wed May 15, 2019 8:34 am

Here's the full list. https://chiefexecutive.net/2019-best-wo ... -business/

It's interesting in context of year over year but their methodology is a survey of CEOs, probably who subscribe to the magazine. California is way down at the bottom of the list but at one point this year 3/4 of new jobs were created in that state. So there's clearly a disparity between companies that create jobs and CEOs that respond to their survey.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/22/califor ... ruary.html

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13828
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by FangKC » Wed May 15, 2019 4:11 pm

I was thinking that the companies, and CEOs, are operating in California, and just not happy about it relative to other states. It doesn't mean they are going to pull out of California though because that might be one of their primary markets.

It's like a car company having to meet emission standards in California. They aren't going to stop selling cars there. It's too big a market. They will gripe about it. However much they gripe about the emissions standards, there is a legitimate reason for having them.

It's like when you see politicians talking about "regulations," and wanting to take things back to the 1950s. Life today is simply more complex by 100 times than then, and obviously more regulations were needed to deal with new complications and technology. For example, there wasn't that much need for the Environmental Protection Agency in the agrarian age.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by flyingember » Thu May 16, 2019 4:01 pm

FangKC wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:11 pm
I was thinking that the companies, and CEOs, are operating in California, and just not happy about it relative to other states. It doesn't mean they are going to pull out of California though because that might be one of their primary markets.
It happens at some levels.

My employer moved their national service center from California to KC a few years ago.

There's still major core business offices there but there's half a dozen departments that largely moved to KC. I'm sure that it let them get out from under california employment regulations was a key part of this.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by flyingember » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:18 am

USDA picked Kansas City. They didn't announce a location.

They're going to build two facilities.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4863
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by earthling » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am

Star article on USDA consolidation into KC. KC region being major animal/agriculture center and significant existing Fed employment apparently factors in decision.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 42813.html

There should be enough downtown available space for 500 employees but no criteria likely defined yet.
Sources say several spots may be in play. On the Missouri side, office buildings in the greater downtown area were explored, including City Center Square; a Quality Hill building at 8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue where State Street operates; sublease space at Shook, Hardy & Bacon’s offices near Crown Center, as well as offices in Crown Center itself.


In Kansas, the Sprint Campus and an office building at Lenexa’s Renner Ridge Corporate Center are in consideration. The site of the proposed American Royal complex in Wyandotte County was offered up, but the USDA signaled a preference for existing office space.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 810
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:36 am

The article in the Star specifically says they are looking at existing office space. Although that could be temporary while they eventually build.

Where did you hear they are going to build two facilities?

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4863
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by earthling » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:43 am

Starland news..
https://www.startlandnews.com/2019/06/usda-kansas-city/
The USDA team is evaluating multiple Class A office properties in Kansas and Missouri for its 120,000-square-foot space, which will house both agencies and 568 employees.

The Kansas City region was selected for its existing concentration of USDA employees and operations, the more than 150 federal agencies in the area, proximity to 13 land grant universities, and central location in the agricultural heart of the country, according to the Kansas City Area Development Council. This concentration is enhanced by the area’s research capabilities and industry-led initiatives like the KC Animal Health Corridor.

“With 56 percent of total worldwide animal health, diagnostics and pet food sales, the Kansas City region is home to more than 300 animal health companies, representing the largest concentration in the world,” said Kimberly Young, president, KC Animal Health Corridor.

Kansas City is already home to more than a dozen USDA agency operations. More than 5,000 USDA employees and contractors work in Kansas City for operations such as the Office of Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service and the Farm Service Agency. The Kansas City area also boasts 35,000 federal employees, and a robust Federal Executive Board serving the metro’s 150 federal agencies.

User avatar
normalthings
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1645
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Kansas, Missouri battle over companies

Post by normalthings » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:48 am

earthling wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:43 am
Starland news..
https://www.startlandnews.com/2019/06/usda-kansas-city/
The USDA team is evaluating multiple Class A office properties in Kansas and Missouri for its 120,000-square-foot space, which will house both agencies and 568 employees.

The Kansas City region was selected for its existing concentration of USDA employees and operations, the more than 150 federal agencies in the area, proximity to 13 land grant universities, and central location in the agricultural heart of the country, according to the Kansas City Area Development Council. This concentration is enhanced by the area’s research capabilities and industry-led initiatives like the KC Animal Health Corridor.

“With 56 percent of total worldwide animal health, diagnostics and pet food sales, the Kansas City region is home to more than 300 animal health companies, representing the largest concentration in the world,” said Kimberly Young, president, KC Animal Health Corridor.

Kansas City is already home to more than a dozen USDA agency operations. More than 5,000 USDA employees and contractors work in Kansas City for operations such as the Office of Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service and the Farm Service Agency. The Kansas City area also boasts 35,000 federal employees, and a robust Federal Executive Board serving the metro’s 150 federal agencies.
It would make a lot of sense for USDA to consolidate those 5-6,000 local employees into a single campus. I just hope that that’s a downtown office tower and not Sprint HQ.

Post Reply