Kansas City telephone exchange names

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
username
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Kansas City telephone exchange names

Post by username »

Does anyone know where I can find telephone exchange names for the Kansas City area from about the 1950s or 1960s?

I know DElmar was used in this area for 33- exchanges.  I am also sure that WYandotte was used in this area for 99- exchanges because it appears in Ma Bell's officially recommended exchange names guide from 1955.  But many cities deviated from the Ma Bell guide for certain exchanges, and I am sure Kansas City had a few.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Kansas City telephone exchange names

Post by Cyclops »

username wrote: Does anyone know where I can find telephone exchange names for the Kansas City area from about the 1950s or 1960s?

I know DElmar was used in this area for 33- exchanges.  I am also sure that WYandotte was used in this area for 99- exchanges because it appears in Ma Bell's officially recommended exchange names guide from 1955.  But many cities deviated from the Ma Bell guide for certain exchanges, and I am sure Kansas City had a few.
Ha! Somewhere I have a phone book from 69. I'm guessing they would be listed there. Offhand I remember 93X being Westport, 36X being Emerson, 52X being Jackson, 76X being South, 53X was Jefferson... after that, I'll have to find the old phone book... AKP? Highlander?
the only thing for sure is change.
DeadendLafayette
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DeadendLafayette »

username wrote: Does anyone know where I can find telephone exchange names for the Kansas City area from about the 1950s or 1960s?

Bad scan. !955:
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Neat.

Westport/West Plaza landlines are often 931. My dad's was for twenty years. My workplace on the Plaza is 753 - although the phone company is more loose and free with assigning a 753 to the Westport area and so forth now as well.

By the way... that commercial... "for better living now and better value later, call standard improvement company at Westport One, 7510. Seeing as how that commercial ran over the course of years through my childhood, it's ingrained.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

WEird!  I can still remember my phone number from 1966 in Cleveland Heights , Ohio  YE2-2182
(Yellowstone)

When we moved here, it was JA3 XXXX  !
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

What i meant to say was "Weird, i never new there was a Yellowstone here in KC as well as Cleveland!"
username
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by username »

Thank you!  Great image. 
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Westport One - Seventy One Hundred.

Name that number!

Sportster
...its the standard
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Sportster wrote: Westport One - Seventy One Hundred.

Name that number!

Sportster
...its the standard

I mentioned it upthread though not by name - Standard Improvement Company. I guess it pays to run the same commercial repeatedly for thirty years.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Still remember my Grandma's number at 17th st and Washington

Grand 1-1570
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

Growing up on 20th Quincy my number was chestnut 1 5920 back in 1958. My grand mother that lived at 24th and Quincy was Wabash 1. My other grandmother at 18th and Spruce was Jackson 3.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Tosspot wrote: Neat.

Westport/West Plaza landlines are often 931. My dad's was for twenty years. My workplace on the Plaza is 753 - although the phone company is more loose and free with assigning a 753 to the Westport area and so forth now as well.

By the way... that commercial... "for better living now and better value later, call standard improvement company at Westport One, 7510. Seeing as how that commercial ran over the course of years through my childhood, it's ingrained.
You forgot the "boom ba boom ba boom" part! I remember that from when I was a kid, but I don't think anyone used the name prefixes by the '70s when I remember this commercial 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Cyclops wrote: after that, I'll have to find the old phone book... AKP? Highlander?
I have nothing.  Didn't most of the names used follow the names of the area using the prefix or the street the location was centered on?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

y'all are really showing your ages....
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If you are lucky someone will be saying the same thing to you 30 years from now.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: If you are lucky someone will be saying the same thing to you 30 years from now.
yeah, when i talk about growing up in a house with a land line...
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

dangerboy wrote: yeah, when i talk about growing up in a house with a land line...
I remember when some people still had party lines because they were cheaper.

In KCK (as a kid), my number was Finley 1-7433.  My grandparents had Drexel 6299 and then Drexel 1-6299 from the 1940's until 1989.  I don't remember when they added the '1'. The prefixes were definitely attached to geographic areas.  I'm so old that remember when my address was Kansas City, 2, Kansas.  No zipcode.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

mlind wrote: I remember when some people still had party lines because they were cheaper.

In KCK (as a kid), my number was Finley 1-7433.  My grandparents had Drexel 6299 and then Drexel 1-6299 from the 1940's until 1989.  I don't remember when they added the '1'. The prefixes were definitely attached to geographic areas.  I'm so old that remember when my address was Kansas City, 2, Kansas.  No zipcode.
I'll give you some company. TErrace 3545, Omaha, 24, Nebraska.
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

You forgot "Standard Bom-ba-bom-ba-bom Improvement Company"

HIland 4-1149
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

ok, i can play, too.  je(fferson) 1395.  va(lentine) 5247.  then, about 1956 or 57, va(lentine) 1-5247.  kansas city 2, missouri.  all-digit dialing?  i've forgotten when that came in.  sometime in the mid to late 60s?

oh -- and it was westport (1-) 71 hundred.  quaint of standard (aaawk) (dum-da-dum-da-dum) im-prove-ment comp-nee to hold on to that jingle after all these years.

(and i'm nowhere close to being a fossil.)