Were do you take out of town friends and thier kids?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

Any ideas? Science City comes to mind, but that's about it. We have some friends coming in from StL and I really wish there was more to do with families. I have been to Science City and although the Union Station is a fascinating building, Science City is not really worth the money. It will be hard to get our friends to pay over 50 bucks so they can see a science center that is nowhere near as impressive as the Science Center in StL and that's free.

I know most towns don't have a lot to do for families in the winter time, but any ideas would be great.
Last edited by The Summit on Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The old KC Museum...never been
http://www.unionstation.org/kcmuseum.cfm

Just Union Station itself and it's free museum on the 2nd level by Pierponts is cool.

Kaleidiscope & Hallmark visitors center
http://www.hallmarkkaleidoscope.com/

Crown Center has some cool stuff including Fritz's & the Coterie theatre

Toy Miniature Museum might be cool for kids
http://www.umkc.edu/tmm/

Zoo but not as good as STL's

that's what I came up with top of my head.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

Well, we might try Kaleidiscope and or Fritz's. Thanks.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Ice Skating at Crown Center will return soon.
Fritz's train restaurants in Crown Center and KCK are great for kids.
Kaliedescope at Crown Center
The Coterie children's theater in Crown Center.
The Crayola Cafe and store in Crown Center.
Toy and Miniature Museam at UMKC.
The American Royal has several events going on, especially the rodeo.
Missouri Town 1855 and Fort Osage for history stuff.
The aviation museam at Downtown Airport
Paul Mesner Puppets

Don't take STL folks to Science City or the zoo, it would be embarassing.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

We take all kids who visit to Rainforest Cafe. They love it.

Don't gig me because it isn't in the city. It is fun for kids and they shouldn't have boundaries.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

My 6 yr old daughter went to Kaleidescope last week with her 1st grade class.

She hasn't stopped talking about it yet. I guess she liked it.

Question: Would children like Steamboat of Arabia? Never been. But, it looks interesting to me, just don't know how the kiddos would react.

Another idea is the Deanna Rose Farmstead in OP off of K150. Petting zoo, animal exhibits, old west architectural replications, wagon rides, fishing, playground, shaded rest areas, and walking trails provide a morning or afternoon worth of fun and learning. AND, it's FREE.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
CGPinFL
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by CGPinFL »

I think the only way kids would enjoy the steamboat arabia is if they were really, really into boats and history. I went last winter and enjoyed it, but my kid brother was bored to death.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Are they comin' to town in November or December?

Alright, here's my list for winter things to do for familes/kids.

Children's Museum of Kansas City
Coterie Theater at Crown Center
Crayola Cafe
Deanna Rose Children's Farmstead
Rainforest Cafe
Kaleidoscope (FREE)
Kansas City Museum
Kansas City Zoological Park & Sprint IMAX Theaters
Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
Missouri Town 1855
Science City at Union Station and Extreme Screen Theaters
Toy & Miniature Museum

I'd take them to check out the Hallmark Cards Visitor's Center (FREE), Coterie Theater and Kaleidoscope (FREE) at Crown Center as well as lunch or dinner at the Crayola Cafe. In addition to Crown Center, swing over to Union Station and check out a cool movie at the City Extreme Screen (Now Playing: Bugs! and Adrenaline Rush: The Science of Risk). Stores that young people enjoy at Crown Center are the Crayola Store, Halls Station, The Nature of Things Store, and Zoom.

Another day could be spent on or near the Plaza with a visit to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art (FREE) and then the Toy & Miniature Museum with an affordable lunch at Gate's Barbeque on Swope Parkway and maybe a show at the Sprint IMAX Theater at the KC Zoo (Now Playing: Wild Chimpanzees, Coral Reef Adventure, and Top Speed). Stores that young people enjoy on the Plaza are Discovery Channel Store, FAO Schwarz, Images of Nature, Barnes & Noble (upstairs), and Sharper Image. I think Tomfooleries or Cheesecake Factory wouldn't be bad for families either as far as dining.

Or, another day I'd highly recommend is goin' to a family favorite, Deanna Rose Farmstead (FREE), along with a stop for lunch at the Rainforest Cafe at Oak Park Mall. Kids love the Build-A-Bear Workshop at the mall if the parents are willin' to buy'em one ($12 - $20). Plus they sell Chiefs, Royals and KU apparel for their stuffed toy. There's also the Fun Factory Arcade and Train/Carousel Children's Play Area at the mall.

The Comets (Kemper Arena) and Wizards (Arrowhead Stadium) are still playing. The Wizards are starting the playoffs shortly and I know most kids love soccer.

Does anyone know if Metcalf South still has the children's indoor amusement park with rides and games? I know the Great Mall of the Great Plains does.
Last edited by QueSi2Opie on Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Great list, KC2OP.

I love the Negro Leagues museum. It makes me remember how I loved baseball. For kids with musical inclinations, the Jazz Museum could be more fun. They have several interactive displays where who get to 'play along.'

The Nelson can be good for families, although I would just try to do a few rooms. It's too much to do all at once, particularly for those with short attention spans.

If you go to Union Station, kids seem to love the fountain (on the way to Science City) that you can walk into.
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

Post by The Summit »

Cool, thanks for the replies. Due to a tight schedule, we will only be able to do a few things outside the home. I think we are taking the kids the Crown Center pumpkin patch, the train restaurant at Crown Center and we might try and catch a movie at Science City or the KC Zoo. Then the next day, we are going to Paradise Park in Lee's Summit. For those who don't know and have kids, this place rocks. Bumper cars, go-carts, mini-golf, batting cages and an indoor edutainment center that might just rival Science City ;), it's right next to the hockey arena at 470 & Colbern. We might hit the Center as well and do a little shopping.

Thanks for all the responses.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Another time, if you have older kids (12 or older) try the Harley Davidson factory.