trader joe's.

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: trader joe's.

Post by KCKev »

KC0KEK wrote: What do y'all think of TJ's coffees?
My ex co-workers cleared the pot as fast as I could make it. Got the Columbian whole been and ground it at work for every pot! Just the smell of it brewing turned peoples heads.

They also have a decent selection of decaf.
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote: Overall, I wasn't blown away, but I will be back.  They definitely have some unique and affordable items, but you have to weed out the overpriced not good deals from the good ones.
My thoughts exactly. Our first impressions were "meh", but then we found a few really unique items that we tried (and liked!). And some of the organic stuff is way cheaper than say Whole Foods. It was funny that it seemed like pretty much everyone shopping there had alcohol (this was the Ward Parkway location obviously).

I was also struck by how small the store was and how sloppy the layout was. Not that it matters that much, but I guess I was expecting some grand appearance by the way it was hyped up. I'll be back, but it seems like a novelty like "oh we're in the area, lets go pick up that guac you really liked and that saag paneer, then stop by Hen House on the way home to get the things we really need."
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

you've never been to a TJs apparently.  the ward parkway location is by far the largest i've ever seen.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I too was surprised by how small it was.  Maybe I didn't read posts carefully enough, but having never been to one, I imagined a massive Whole Foods, but cheaper and more hippie. 

I was wrong, although they do seem to like their grass skirt material around the cold bunkers etc. 
KC0KEK wrote: What do y'all think of TJ's coffees?
I brew it at my desk at work and I love it!  Got the Bay Blend, ultra dark roast (I'm a dark black coffee person...that sounds awkward.  Ahem, I'm a white, dark black coffee person?  Anyway...)

My coworkers come over and say it smells different than normal, and I think it's fantastic.

Also, I made dinner for my wife.  Yep, preheated the oven to 400, placed 4 Trader Ming's eggrolls on a cookie sheet, along with a bag of battered/fried chicken pieces.  The chicken was then tossed in the orange sauce that came with it.

Overall, for a frozen chinese dinner, I thought it was great.  The eggrolls had a lot of moisture/water inside but the flavor was great and the outside got nice and crispy (turn them over).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah, TJ's are not big at all.  keep in mind they are owned by the same company as Aldi - pretty similar size to most Aldi stores i have been to.  so, it's like a mashup of Aldi and Whole Foods.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote: yeah, TJ's are not big at all.  keep in mind they are owned by the same company as Aldi - pretty similar size to most Aldi stores i have been to.  so, it's like a mashup of Aldi and Whole Foods.
Chrizow, it's my understanding that TJ's is owned by members of the same family that owns Aldi, but that they are two distincly different sets of owners.  That was told to me years ago by a TJ corporate employee.

Is it not true?  Just looking for the facts.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

loftguy wrote: Chrizow, it's my understanding that TJ's is owned by members of the same family that owns Aldi, but that they are two distincly different sets of owners.  That was told to me years ago by a TJ corporate employee.

Is it not true?  Just looking for the facts.
from wikipedia:

"Trader Joe's was founded by Joe Coulombe and is owned, since 1979, by a family trust set up by the late German businessman Theo Albrecht, one of the two brothers behind the German discount supermarket chain Aldi."

So you may be right on that.  I was under the impression that TJ's and Aldi have a fair amount of overlap in how they operate, but I could be mistaken.  It is not difficult to see a similarity in the stores though, I think.  At least, TJ's is run under a similar model - most products are packaged under the store label, lower prices, similar store size, etc.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

They were originally different members of the same family; but, to maintain their superior aryan genes, they began interbreeding and are now owned by Joe's daughter. I mean his sister. I mean his daughter. I mean his sister. Oh, Jake!
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

chrizow wrote: I was under the impression that TJ's and Aldi have a fair amount of overlap in how they operate, but I could be mistaken. 
It's tough to say because most of the TJ profiles I've read (e.g., in Forbes) note how secretive TJs is regarding its operations, such as its suppliers.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

well, regardless of any official overlap or sharing of supply chains, it is obvious that TJ's is a riff on the Aldi model, and Aldi is a good frame of reference for describing TJ's.  it is Aldi + Whole Foods, as i said earlier.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I brew it at my desk at work and I love it!  Got the Bay Blend, ultra dark roast
The can is blue, right? I haven't been in several months, but that's one I often buy.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

KC0KEK wrote: The can is blue, right? I haven't been in several months, but that's one I often buy.
Correct!  Im a fan.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

On TJ's el cheapo wines, it looks like Gomer's is planning to battle with boxed wines.  The box technology is actually getting pretty good, keeping air out and allowing for a large quantity to last longer - great for single people who want a cheap table wine available at all times but not have to worry about opening a bottle and consume before going bad.
Over the past year, we've found a surprising amount of good wine being packaged in boxes and 'tetra packs' Try to get the image of Franzia out of your mind: these new wines are, in many cases, better than what others are putting in glass bottles.
They have a few 'higher' grade (relatively) wines than 2 Buck Chuck that are boxed, those these are still not as cheap as chuckers per liter.  I get a major headache from chuckers, will have to try these boxed ones.  Only one I've tried is BOHO Old Vine Zin, which is OK - more depth than chucks.

http://www.gomersmidtown.com/TheBox.html
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/dinin ... c_ev=click

Eris Asimov of the NY Times just did a comparison of boxed wines as well.  We plan to purchase wine in the 3-liter format to keep around as a "house" wine.  Much more economical than bottles.  It is very common in France to have boxed wine around for this purpose.  I have had some decent wines in the 750 ml boxes and am looking forward to the larger format.  They are far better than two buck chuck-type wines for sure.  Basically you're getting $12-quality old world wine for about $8 a bottle and it doesn't go bad for weeks.  You can barely get Yellow Tail for that (and who wants to!?)
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Hmm... will have to look for those Rhone region wines (in NYT article).  I'm sure Gomer's will get them in if we ask for them.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ignatius wrote: Hmm... will have to look for those Rhone region wines (in NYT article).  I'm sure Gomer's will get them in if we ask for them.
i didn't read the gomer's blurb above, but according to jim gomer's will be carrying french boxed wines very soon.  i believe they are rhones.  
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Money quote from the Times article: "We live in the most sophisticated area of the world."

Really Eric? The WORLD? Jesus H. People in NYC should get out more...

Anyway, we keep boxed wine around as a "house wine" (although I don't buy old world wines, because it seems like an ecological compromise that isn;t really necessary given the quality of AMerican wines, so this list wasn't very helpful). The real selling points for me are the ecological concerns and the fact that you don't have to polish it all off in as strict a time frame, thereby preventing me from "accidentally" getting wine-drunk and innapropriately professing my deep, sincere and inevitable amorous feelings for whoever happens to be around. 
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

"A Week In The Life Of A Trader Joe's Employee":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/1 ... n_Chipotle
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

I finally made it to the KS store. Bought a lb of TJs med roast beans, made very good coffee.