Do you think KC will be superior to STL in 30 years?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Will KC be superior to STL in 30 years?

Poll runs till Tue Aug 18, 2037 7:13 am

Yes
59%
No
18%
Possibly
23%

Total votes: 22

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I'd like to know if you think KC will be superior than STL in 30 years after everything is finished like downtown revitalization and the port/interstate, etc...
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think it already is superior to St. Louis. We have a lot of investment going on dowtown, and more announced every few weeks. People are moving into the urban core. Retail is slowly moving in. The biggest issue with Kansas City, is our own self-doubt and insecurity. We can look at other cities for some inspiration, but that's all. Instead of wringing our hands and saying: "why can't we be more like Denver/St. Louis/Portland/whatever", lets learn from what has worked in other places and ADAPT it to our needs. Let's also remember where we were 5 years ago. The change is phenomenal! We see it every day, so it is hard to get a perspective of the changes that are rapidly occuring here.

When I first moved here in 1992, the biggest plus for me about KC was that it was easy to fly out of here to somewherere "fun". Now when I travel, I look at some of the attractions and such in other cities and think to myself: "its nice, but in KC we have: .......... ". This a great town and we need to make sure everyone knows it!
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

tat2kc wrote: Now when I travel, I look at some of the attractions and such in other cities and think to myself: "its nice, but in KC we have: .......... ". This a great town and we need to make sure everyone knows it!
so true, so true! i've gotten to go to DC quite a bit for the "fun" stuff since i've been out here and the natives to VA and MD seem to think it's the shizzle, but im always comparing it to KC cause i like it better. They always say, "huh?"
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do you think KC will be superior to STL in 30 years?

Post by bahua »

KCDevin wrote:...in 30 years after everything is finished like downtown revitalization and the port/interstate, etc...
Finished?

Why would development in a city ever be finished, for any positive reason? Moreover, why would you ever want it to be? Further, if you expect it to be finished, why would you ever want to live in such a stagnant place?

People are mortal. We won't have all the same people living here in 30 years. In 100 years, we won't likely have any of the same residents that we have now. Cities change constantly, and cater themselves to their residents.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

... if you would read in to my post bahua, youd realise that i am talking about the current projects, sure we wont ever be finished. Just talking about the things going on now.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I did realize that right away, Devin. I was just hoping that with a 30-year timeline, you'd have greater expectations than what's on the block right now, for Kansas City.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Tossup if you ask me. Are we talking city of metro first of all. I'll assume city because the suburbs in both cities are both leeches. KC first of all is going to dominate big time with residential construction (myself included), dominate retail. St. Louis will win with expanded metrolink into inner-suburbs which only means more people downtown. St. Louis also has the Final 4 in 2005 and a new baseball stadium in the next few years which transform the southern end of downtown. I only like looking out 10 years and this is all I'm including. Going back to KC. I love the recent news of all the investors from Chi-Town to the NYC who see a vision for downtown KCMO. I wish the best for both!
Calling a spade a spade.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

possibly...hence my vote, but, I have to agree with ShowMe's post...STL has much going for it and STL never seems to let stupid little stuff prevent it from accomplishing great things unlike it's western counterpart.

I'll echo ShowMe and wish the best for both downtown areas.

p.s. One thing not mentioned about KC is the possibility of a retractable dome on Camarohead which will, hopefully, help keep the Big8+4 championship game in KC for years to come.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I hope that both cities progress. I really do not think on how we can dominate one city, but how we can make ourselves better, as a whole.
St. Louis has established itself long ago as a major city. It's position as a great river port and rail hub are well known.
Our main problem is the national economy and corporate expansion, more jobs.

KC is doing great, I think there is a lot going on here that will allow us to grow and develop. STL and KCMO are like comparing oranges to apples, LA to SF or Dallas to Houston.

Each city has its unique flavor. Each city is making important plans.

LG