Great Kansas City local "cult" legends

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

How about Pizza Shoppe? (I am currently upset with the Shawnee franchise- which had a spat with the company and shut down- idiots!)
I kinda like their pizza (damn meat pellets!) and they cook "on the bricks" which makes for a great crust, but I worked at Pop's Pizza in Independence -- owned by the people who owned the two Indep Pizza Shoppe locations (24 Hiway @ 291 & 291 @ Hidden Valley Rd.) -- and I heard all sorts of nasty things about why they broke with the franchise after ~15 years due to Corporate HQ being a bunch of jerks.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

Max's Autodiner on Wornall ( 8000-ish something block ) . Best burgers in KC, & it's just a little hole in the wall shack, basically.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

phxcat wrote:creature feature- was that the weeklong things they had on Ch 5? Planet of the Apes week, Godzilla week, etc.?
Actually, that did have the same name, but what I'm talking about came slightly after that. Weekly show on channel 41, Saturday nights at 10:30, in the early 1980s. Roberta Solomon (who mainly does radio and voiceover work) played Crematia Mortem, the vampirish host of a bad horror movie. Think "Elvira", but in my opinion this show was better. Exteriors shot at Epperson House on the UMKC campus, interiors were of course a set. Sometimes fans would write her horror spoofs of songs and she'd since them on the air. An excellent followup to "Friday Fright Night" on channel 5 the previous night.

I think show show died around or maybe a little before the time 41 went FOX (prior to later becoming NBC).

(BTW the BEST local pizza in my opinion is Fun House, but I didn't mention that one before since technically they don't have any KC locations and are mainly known in Eastern Jackson County.)
BurningMustard
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by BurningMustard »

Papa Kenos, I love their pizza. Great sauce and not too much cheese. Plus the house salad dress is great as well. I know it is from Lawrence, but the location in DTOP is pretty cool.

"Big top CCQ"
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

scooterj wrote:(BTW the BEST local pizza in my opinion is Fun House, but I didn't mention that one before since technically they don't have any KC locations and are mainly known in Eastern Jackson County.)
BINGO! I was waitin' for someone to say this one. I use to absolutely love their pizza when living in Independence as a kid.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
scooterj wrote:(BTW the BEST local pizza in my opinion is Fun House, but I didn't mention that one before since technically they don't have any KC locations and are mainly known in Eastern Jackson County.)
BINGO! I was waitin' for someone to say this one. I use to absolutely love their pizza when living in Independence as a kid.
I grew up going to the old Blue Springs location at the NE corner of 7 Hwy and Jefferson. After it closed down, the Independence location became my staple.

Even when I lived in Olathe I'd still make the drive back east about once a month for their pizza. I continue to go there today.