The KCMO School District

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: School District Woes

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Is an under-maintained, poorly staffed, poorly equipped, poorly performing school that continues to churn out poorly educated children really an "asset to the neighborhod" it is located in?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Why doesn't the Mayor's proposed school finance program put some of the $100 million toward teacher salaries, hiring better instructors and maybe demolishment of empty buildings?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

splash wrote: Anyone following what's happening with the proposed closing of either Hickman Mills HS or Ruskin HS who can clue me in as to why everyone is so angry? 
Do you close a school with a long history (Ruskin) that has the football stadium and track along with some other district exclusive athletic facilities or do you close a school that has a newer building (HM) and has a larger student body but is more isolated in the district.  No matter, by closing the district leaders mean as a high school.  The closed high school is to become a middle school with one of the current middle schools closing.  Also, the high school is to become a school for grades 10 through 12 instead of 9 through 12.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Do you close a school with a long history (Ruskin) that has the football stadium and track along with some other district exclusive athletic facilities or do you close a school that has a newer building (HM) and has a larger student body but is more isolated in the district.  No matter, by closing the district leaders mean as a high school.  The closed high school is to become a middle school with one of the current middle schools closing.  Also, the high school is to become a school for grades 10 through 12 instead of 9 through 12.
Yeah, I knew they weren't going to completely close one of the schools, but from what little I've heard/read, people seem to be angry about combining the schools because of the athletic rivalry and are afraid that putting the schools together will increase violence.  The other main argument I've heard is that people want their kids to be able to walk to school and don't want them to take the bus. 

My thinking is that if the district is over budget and there aren't enough students to adequately fill all the schools, why not shift the students around in an effort to trim the budget or reallocate the extra money to improving the quality of education?  I've just been surprised that so many of the parents seem to be completely against the idea, so I was wondering if I had missed something in the plan. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Not sure of what you mean by shifting "the students around in an effort to trim the budget" other than closing schools.  The biggest cost to schools is personnel and by closing one high school the district can eliminate many jobs.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

splash wrote: Yeah, I knew they weren't going to completely close one of the schools, but from what little I've heard/read, people seem to be angry about combining the schools because of the athletic rivalry and are afraid that putting the schools together will increase violence. 
Please tell me you are joking.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

KCMax wrote: Please tell me you are joking.
Nope.  Heard that during a piece on the news last week, I think? 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I'll tip my hat to Covington - he's done a better job of selling this to the community and managed to avoid hysteric opposition far, far better than I ever would have thought possible:

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/6345
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I think he's done a tremendous job overall in the face of enormous odds.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Does anyone have a map of the closing school locations?
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Finally, the Kansas City Public School District implements a plan to get rid of ineffective tenured teachers.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/09/18 ... o-cut.html
There is no fifth destination.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Four or more candidates for school board will be speaking at the next Hyde Park Neighborhood Association meeting - 7pm on Tuesday, March 16th, at Central Pres. Church, 3501 Campbell.  Should be interesting.
Zorobabel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Zorobabel »

kcjak wrote: Why doesn't the Mayor's proposed school finance program put some of the $100 million toward teacher salaries, hiring better instructors and maybe demolishment of empty buildings?
This is one of the most fundamental problems facing the school district right now. Entry-level salaries for teachers in KCMO are anywhere from $6000-9000 (for those holding a B.A.) to $20000 (for those holding a PhD) less than they are in JoCo, and you can't improve academic performance and encourage students to pursue higher education without highly qualified teachers, particularly at the secondary level.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

The thing that annoys me the most is that the schools get all the blame for underachieving kids who are, unfortunately, often low-income & minority.  Education cannot remedy poverty, bad family situations, and lack of parent involvement.  My kids teachers in elementary school told me that the parents of the kids with the most problems are the ones who never show up for teacher conferences. 
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Covington's plan passed 5-4 tonight.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/03/10/18 ... close.html
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Hopefully Board President Simmons and her cronies can be shown the door next.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

kucer wrote: Hopefully Board President Simmons and her cronies can be shown the door next.
It will an interesting time next month due to the board of education elections. I agree. All of the positions are up for grabs, correct?
"People just repeat what everybody else says as a short cut to thinking." JTREG - BigSoccer Forum Member
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Anybody else see a problem with 7th graders going to the same schools as much older kids?
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

It wasn't a problem for me when I was in school.