The KCMO School District

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: The KCMO School District

Post by chingon »

Ditto. Though I read them both. Pre-McClatchy/Lee Enterprises, I thought the Star was superior except for its sports pages, labor beat and cartoons.

I still read both daily.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

chingon wrote:Ditto. Though I read them both. Pre-McClatchy/Lee Enterprises, I thought the Star was superior except for its sports pages, labor beat and cartoons.

I still read both daily.
I just saw a headline of an article in the P-D - Mom won't accept his gay brother
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

warwickland wrote:
chingon wrote:Ditto. Though I read them both. Pre-McClatchy/Lee Enterprises, I thought the Star was superior except for its sports pages, labor beat and cartoons.

I still read both daily.
I just saw a headline of an article in the P-D - Mom won't accept his gay brother
Mom was transgender.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

WTF? That's just hard to wrap your brain around.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Bill introduced in MO Legislature to dissolve KCMO SD.

The Republican state senator from Chesterfield is pushing legislation that, among other things, would permanently dissolve the unaccredited school district, carve it up and require neighboring districts to take over city schools.
“For decades we’ve watched as (the Kansas City) district has gone down and down and down,” Cunningham said. “The district has not served its students or the community, so a dramatic change is needed.”
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

Read that. Also noticed that legislation had support from other superintendents.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Critics of the plan argue it would deny local residents a say in the future of their school district and could do more harm than good.
Residents have had plenty of years to have their say about management of the district, and their input has produced nothing. The school board pulled from that district has never accomplished anything.

Break the damned thing up, and see if that has any effect. The fact that there would no longer be any district with the name Kansas City in it would probably be the best thing to happen to the City, because residents and newcomers wouldn't think the district covered all of Kansas City. The KCPSD is no longer that large. Enrollment continues to drop as that part of the City empties out. However, perceptions of district enrollment loom larger than it is. The district had over 70,000 students in the 1960s and now it's between 17,000-18,000. The Shawnee Mission School District has 40,000 students.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If not dismantled the district needs to be renamed to something not associated with KCMO name. The name implies that ALL KCMO schools are unaccredited.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If Kansas City wasn't in the school district name, none of the national news media would give a crap about the district's woes. To put this into some perspective, the public school district in Springfield, Missouri, has 6,000 to 7,000 more students than the KCPSD does.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCMO has 6 school districts within its borders...unfortunately most people don't know this and assume when they hear that the KCMOSD is failing that it means the entire city is failing...they should not only change the name, but they should also dissolve the district.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

If the North Kansas City School District were to be extended south of the river, I think all of the newly encompassed residential units would see a huge increase in value. Literally my only concern about remaining in the city forever is sending kids to school. Though, admittedly, I'm less concerned about because 1.) I have none, and 2.) I figure it will all work out.

:)
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

smh wrote:If the North Kansas City School District were to be extended south of the river, I think all of the newly encompassed residential units would see a huge increase in value. Literally my only concern about remaining in the city forever is sending kids to school. Though, admittedly, I'm less concerned about because 1.) I have none, and 2.) I figure it will all work out.

that's what i thought when I moved here and had no kids. I send my kids to private school now.
It would be cheaper for me to move to the burbs. But I can't handle the steril environment.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

kboish wrote:KCMO has 6 school districts within its borders.
I believe there is more than 6.

KCMO SD
Center
Grandview
Hickman Mills
Raytown
Lees' Summit
NKC
Park Hill
Liberty
Platte County
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

smh wrote:If the North Kansas City School District were to be extended south of the river, I think all of the newly encompassed residential units would see a huge increase in value. Literally my only concern about remaining in the city forever is sending kids to school. Though, admittedly, I'm less concerned about because 1.) I have none, and 2.) I figure it will all work out.

This is a great idea. Would be even greater if it extended as far south as the Plaza, incorporating mid-town.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Do you think there will be a push in the midtown/Brookside/Waldo area to create their own school district, or do you think those parents are just happy sending their kids to Pembroke/Rockhurst/St. Theresa's?

And will that create a ton of tension if say the boundary doesn't extend east of Troost?
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Serious question resulting from my ignorance...what would change in the schools if they are operated by another school district? I know the KCMO school board wouldn't be involved and there would be a different superintendent, but the buildings would be the same, the same students would be in the buildings and likely mostly the same teachers. Is it really as easy as blowing up the administration and giving/selling it to someone else that has shown success?

Also, why would NKC (as an example) want any piece of KCMOSD other than maybe some schools close to the current borders?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

droopy wrote:Serious question resulting from my ignorance...what would change in the schools if they are operated by another school district? I know the KCMO school board wouldn't be involved and there would be a different superintendent, but the buildings would be the same, the same students would be in the buildings and likely mostly the same teachers. Is it really as easy as blowing up the administration and giving/selling it to someone else that has shown success?

Also, why would NKC (as an example) want any piece of KCMOSD other than maybe some schools close to the current borders?
They get more money from the state. I believe the school formula gives you more money for disadvantaged kids, so if you take these kids on, your budget is higher.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

droopy wrote:Serious question resulting from my ignorance...what would change in the schools if they are operated by another school district? I know the KCMO school board wouldn't be involved and there would be a different superintendent, but the buildings would be the same, the same students would be in the buildings and likely mostly the same teachers. Is it really as easy as blowing up the administration and giving/selling it to someone else that has shown success?

Management is the difference. It is already showing results in the Independence takeover of Van Horn. If these districts take a small portion of KCMOSD into their district the troubled students become a fraction of the total school population and can get more focused attention from those district's alternative schools. The average students get a normal education, rather than being ignored because all the attention is on either the exceptional students or the mass of troubled students.

Most of these districts educate hundreds of KCMO students anyway because their parents have learned to game the system by claiming that the student lives with a relative in the district.

It's a huge problem. What the bill is proposing is akin to "crowd-sourcing", breaking the problem down into manageable parts and giving those parts to competent operators to solve.