Sprint sale rumors again

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Sprint sale rumors again

Post by ignatius »

BTW, Sprint went from something like 30K employees in KC around 2000 or so to about only 7K now.  But they've outsourced a lot of jobs, so there are many in KC that work indirectly for Sprint not on the Sprint payroll.  Anyone know how many indirect Sprint employees there are in KC?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

ignatius wrote: Sprint or Tmob can't compete with ATT/VZW giant pots of money.  Combined they could more likely compete but individually, no way.
True, capital and access to capital are important, but other factors -- particularly spectrum holdings -- are equally important. Sprint also has wireline services (e.g., IP/MPLS for enterprises, VoIP for cable operators) as additional revenue streams.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

ATT intends to buy Tmobile.  If the feds let this happen - they shouldn't but probably will - it could  give VZW the right to buy Sprint.  This will be very bad for KC if that path happens.

Will be interesting to see VZW reaction to this.  They may fight the ATT/Tmob merger unless the feds allow VZW to buy Sprint.  

If the feds allow a duopoly, it's not just bad for consumers... KC will be severely hurt in the end.  

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... he-Telekom
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't see them allowing sprint to be bought by the other two bigs.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It wouldn't be a dualopy either because there are still smaller companies around like US Cellular in the Chicago area, and Metro PCS in the South
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Verizon is considered to be a more powerful lobbying organization than ATT.  If VZW can't stop the ATT merger, they might let it go if they can lobby to buy Sprint. They may attempt to build a case that Cricket and others are also competitors.  

Ideally (if ATT/Tmob goes through), Sprint stands alone and may get some Tmob users who don't want ATT.   Sprint stock may rise either because of the Tmob defection opportunity or because VZW may attempt to buy them.

If ATT/Tmob does go through, don't be surprised if VZW at least tries to buy Sprint.  Who woulda thunk ATT/Tmob would be allowed by the feds afterall.  Someone like Google may come along and want Sprint too... or Netflix in a couple years?  With providers threatening with caps, Netflix may want their own network.

Will be very surprised if Sprint is still going it alone in 5 years.  Someone will snatch them up.  Let's just hope it's someone who keeps the HQ in KC.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I'm a tmobile user and plan on switching to Sprint or a smaller company if this merger goes through.  I dont like ATT
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I seriously doubt that AT&T and DT would have taken this deal to their boards -- let alone announced it -- if they hadn't already gotten informal approval from the FCC and DoJ. Congress is the wild card.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

My son has T-Mobile using a Samsung Galaxy.  He did have Boost that ran on the Nextel network.  That was rather cool because it could work like a walkie-talkie to other Nextel subscribers as well.  Of course, Sprint bought Nextel and is planning to eventually shut it down. 

AT&T in the San Francisco area has a problem because the network can't handle all the iPhone users.  I haven't heard yet if that's a problem now that Verizon is selling it. AT&T does have the advantage that their phones work on many networks outside the US.  When I go to Mexico, my AT&T phone automatically switches to Telcel. 

Of course, if you get the unlock code, you can just buy and swap out the SIMS in Europe.  A lot cheaper.

I used to work for a firm that does RF calibration for wireless companies.  At the time, the engineers said Verizon had the best network.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I have a Sprint HTC EVO and an AT&T iPad. Outside of cities, AT&T typically has EDGE, whereas Sprint typically has EV-DO Rev. A, at least in the places where I travel. Needless to say, I rarely activate my AT&T iPad account.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Verizon says they aren't interested in acquiring Sprint.  Curious they also aren't interested in stopping the ATT/Tmob merger.  ATT will have to make a lot of concessions and dump some things in order to get the deal through.  Maybe VZW plans to snatch up what ATT has to dump.

Will be good for KC if VZW doesn't go after Sprint.  Most any other Sprint deal at this point would probably keep the HQ in KC.

Given that ATT now has a 2GB limit for data and Tmob and Sprint have no limit, Sprint might get a lot of Tmob defectors. I wonder how many new customers Sprint needs to gain to become profitable again on paper.  They are at least starting to grow again.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/ctialive/ ... 2011-03-22
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I'm a tmobile user and plan on switching to Sprint or a smaller company if this merger goes through.  I dont like ATT
Not that I'm arguing but why don't you like AT&T?  Were you ever a customer? 

Also, anyone here have the new Sprint HTC?  Huge screen.  My wife is considering it.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

AT&T just seems like way too big of a company for me, they seem like the type of company that will raise my rates if i farted.  My Bill has never gone up with T Mobile in the 11 years i've had them, the customer service has been outstanding, coverage has been great and I know all of that will be lost with ATT. 

The two things i decided to ban in my life; AT&T and visiting the state of Florida.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Also, anyone here have the new Sprint HTC? 
It was just announced, and I don't think it's on sale yet. But I have the first-gen EVO and love it except for the battery life. See www.goodandevo.net for some perspectives on the new 3D model.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

brewcrew1000 wrote: My Bill has never gone up with T Mobile in the 11 years i've had them
Impressive, considering that the T-Mobile brand didn't debut until 2002. Were you a VoiceStream customer when DT acquired them to build T-Mobile?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Yes, I've had T-Mobile since voicestream days.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Same here, my first cell phone was with Voicestream in 1999.  Yes, my daughters had cell phones before I did.  At least I was smart enough to drop my land line 6 months later.  I've always been happy with T-Mobile especially during overseas travel; phone reception was never an issue.  And their rate plans really work for me.  I?m out of contract, so I will wait and see what happens. 
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: AT&T just seems like way too big of a company for me, they seem like the type of company that will raise my rates if i farted.  My Bill has never gone up with T Mobile in the 11 years i've had them, the customer service has been outstanding, coverage has been great and I know all of that will be lost with ATT. 

The two things i decided to ban in my life; AT&T and visiting the state of Florida.
If you think AT&T is too big a company you might want to drop TMobile.  From their web site:

Quick Facts

Connection is good. In a world full of busy and fragmented lives, we at T-Mobile USA, Inc., have this idea that wireless communications can help. The value of our plans, the breadth of our coverage, the reliability of our network, and the quality of our service are meant to do one thing: help you stick together with the people who make your life come alive. That’s why we’re here.

Headquarters: Bellevue, Washington

Coverage: T-Mobile USA is a national provider of wireless voice, messaging, and data services capable of reaching over 293 million Americans where they live, work, and play. Around the country, our Personal Coverage Check gives customers a clear picture of their local coverage.

Number of Employees: 42,000

Ownership: T-Mobile USA is the US operating entity of T-Mobile International AG, the mobile communications subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT). Deutsche Telekom is one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world, with nearly 120 million customers worldwide.

So if Deutche is bigger than AT&T, are you going to switch from them?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

SingleMalt12 wrote: If you think AT&T is too big a company you might want to drop TMobile.  From their web site:

Quick Facts

Connection is good. In a world full of busy and fragmented lives, we at T-Mobile USA, Inc., have this idea that wireless communications can help. The value of our plans, the breadth of our coverage, the reliability of our network, and the quality of our service are meant to do one thing: help you stick together with the people who make your life come alive. That’s why we’re here.

Headquarters: Bellevue, Washington

Coverage: T-Mobile USA is a national provider of wireless voice, messaging, and data services capable of reaching over 293 million Americans where they live, work, and play. Around the country, our Personal Coverage Check gives customers a clear picture of their local coverage.

Number of Employees: 42,000

Ownership: T-Mobile USA is the US operating entity of T-Mobile International AG, the mobile communications subsidiary of Deutsche Telekom AG (NYSE: DT). Deutsche Telekom is one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world, with nearly 120 million customers worldwide.

So if Deutche is bigger than AT&T, are you going to switch from them?
Deutche Telekom is roughly the same size as AT&T when comparing the parent company. Comparing Deutche Telekom to AT&T wireless isn't really comparing apples to apples. T-Mobile to AT&T wireless is a huge difference.

FWIW