KC in National Geographic Traveler

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

I jus' got my October issue in the mail yesterday, so if you come across a copy of National Georgraphic Traveler in a bookstore, doctor's office, etc. look at the TRIPS! section on page 132.

Music Cities U.S.A.
Four cities still groove to the homegrown sound that shaped their cultures -- zydeco, jazz, blues, rock-and-roll -- genres that have stirred up the world of music.

Kansas City: Jazz Comes of Age

Memphis: Blues, Rock, and Soul

Lafayette: Cajun & Zydeco Central

Nashville: Place of Pilgrimage

I can't find the article on the web...and I'm not about to type three pages. I can tell you this much, they show a photo of both Harling's Upstairs and the Scamps standing outside of the Pheonix. They also mentioned that KC was the undisputed jazz capital of the world and that Count Basie, Lou Williams, Joe Turner, Benny Moten, and the immortal Charlie "Bird" Parker all called KC home. They talk about 18th & Vine undergoing restoration efforts and the "excellent" American Jazz Museum. The places they mention to visit for good KC jazz are The Blue Room, Mutual Musicians Foundation, Jardine's, Pheonix, New Point Grille, Harling's Upstairs (on Saturdays), and Club 210 at Fedora's.

Too bad two of those seven places are closed or going to close down.

Anyhow, it's a shame we can't keep a good jazz fest going. I was thinkin' that maybe Kansas City can combine with St. Louis and fund a Show Me Jazz & Blues Fest. The festival could switch between the two cities every other year and feature acts from the state of Missouri as well as other national/international acts. Funding for the festival could come from not only KC and STL, but from Sedalia, Columbia, Springfield, etc. It could be a national success, boost tourism, and keep Jazz & Blues alive in Missouri. Think about it, the festival could be the largest in the world for this type of music!
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I was thinkin' that maybe Kansas City can combine with St. Louis and fund a Show Me Jazz & Blues Fest. The festival could switch between the two cities every other year and feature acts from the state of Missouri as well as other national/international acts. Funding for the festival could come from not only KC and STL, but from Sedalia, Columbia, Springfield, etc. It could be a national success, boost tourism, and keep Jazz & Blues alive in Missouri. Think about it, the festival could be the largest in the world for this type of music!
That is the best damn idea I have ever heard. Let's do it! Can I open for Buddy Guy?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin