An open letter to Brookside residents

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Cyburbia »

Dear Brookside residents,

Yes, you live in a very nice, comfortable neighborhood. A place with plenty of character and charm; a J.C. Nichols classic.

However, the first time you tell someone that you're from Brookside, that should be enough. We've also noticed the European-style BKS sticker on the back of your SUV. You don't have to mention or hint that you live in Brookside at every possible opportunity. Gawd, you're worse than the people who are always telling others that they don't watch television, or that they're vegans.

We might be a bit jealous because we didn't get a chance to buy a house there before prices exploded. Still, though, no need to rub it in our face.

Thanks.

:D
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Cyb, have not heard from you in a long time, this must really bug you!

I had one of those stickers on the back of my SUV for three years, and I loved every bit of it. It's a lot better than a Jahawk or Wildcat which I think it is KS law to place either one of those on your car becasue every freaking KS car out there has one or the other.

I have moved to the burbs since, but there are times when I think of putting one on my car again (still have some stickers).

Grew up in Brookside and still spend a lot of time there.

Nothing wrong with it IMO.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

please Cyburbia. =; who cares?

Unlike many other *cough* crappy suburbs, Brookside has historic charm and a sense of community. I'm glad they're proud of where they live. Perhaps something to actually complain about would be other KC-area knockoffs on what brookside started..I've seen "PV" (prairie village) and "OPKS" (no shit). Now THATs annoying.

KcTeen
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Just the opposite Cyburbia. We need more people in the city taking such pride in their neighborhoods, not less. And we need suburbs that are worthy of similar affection.

One thing we can do without, the cars with JO license plates sporting BKS decals. I've seen more than a few of those lame asses.
carfreekc
New York Life
New York Life

Re: An open letter to Brookside residents

Post by carfreekc »

Cyburbia wrote:Dear Brookside residents,
... We've also noticed the European-style BKS sticker on the back of your SUV. ... Gawd, you're worse than the people who are always telling others that they don't watch television, or that they're vegans.
As a BKS resident (who does not have an SUV, or even a car, or even a BKS sticker visible to anyone other than someone who sees my fridge), I'll certainly do my best to steer clear of jealous overgeneralizing people in the future to avoid contributing to their high blood pressure. Gawd, those overgeneralizers are worse than vocal avid recyclers who drive everywhere all the time, no matter the distance.
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

I have a BKS sticker AND a jayhawk on the back of my SUV.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

=D> Go Brookside!

KcTeen
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Brooksider wrote:I have a BKS sticker AND a jayhawk on the back of my SUV.
Well at least you live on the "right" side of state line ;).