Forbes list of rich people

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

I just saw the Forbes list of the 400 richest- and KC came up looking pretty good. There were six total, I think, including a couple of Halls, a couple guys from JoCo who did something enteurprenureal (I don't remeber what) and a couple other people. Koch from Wichita was high up on the list and there was another guy who got rich off of handtrucks. Phoenix had four, two fro mthe Apollo Group and two who got rich off of billboards. St. Louis had only two or three- Enterprize Rent a car and an inherritence. There were a couple Waltons in Columbia. At number 40, from Chicago, was a guy bamed Ty Warner who made 6 billion off of Beanie Babies! (Bastard!)

I can't find the article now, though!
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

By the way- the freakin rich was headaed by Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Paul Allen, and about fifty Arkansas Walton's tied at fourth. (That group has a lot more than the Columbia Wal-Marts.)
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

Did the whole Wal-Mart family leave Arkansas and move to Columbia?
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Sam Walton went to Mizzou, as did many of his kids. Several of them remained in Columbia. There's also some of them in Springfield. They own the Kiel Center and Blues in St. Louis, and just gave $25 million for the new MU arena. I've always thought that Wal-Mart was a headquarters that Kansas City should pursue, especially with all of the Missouri ties among the Waltons and now former CEO David Glass owning the Royals.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The Halls are freaking LOADED!!! I didn't know they were that rich...good lord!
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

You don't hear a lot about Hallmark when rankings come out because it is a privately held company, not publicly traded. I don't think anyone really knows how much money that company makes.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Just think about if Hallmark went public...they'd be worth even more.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Not necessarily. The idea of going public is to get more stockholders. It could be that Hallmark has all the stockholders they need/want.

As for nobody knowing how much they have/make, that is absolutely true, as they are a privately held company, and are under no obligation to release any of their information for anything other than tax purposes.