Little Rock news anchor picks KC over Arkansas

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

'Ole Hearne Christopher is reporting that KCTV has found a replacement for Ann Peterson in a newsanchor from the #1 station in Little Rock. Christopher called her the "Larry Moore" of Little Rock (huh?!)

Although KATV was offering her more money than KCTV, she chose KC because it's more of a "big city" and she mentioned the art museums. She also mentioned the Blue Valley and Shawnee Mission schools as other reasons.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Why is that newsworthy? Television personalities routinely move up to larger markets as they progress through their careers. In a few more years she will probably move on to Denver or Chicago.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I just think it's funny to hear her say she wants Jo Co schools when she doesn't even know a thing about KC schools. Somebody brainwashed her.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Cool to hear outsiders talk good about us too.

It is funny, we got THE LARRY MOORE from Little Rock....wow.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Mizzou05
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Mizzou05 »

yeah since KCTV is in Fairway, KS they will automaticly tell their people to move to joco. Sucks because they dont know how much more they could get for there money and at a better quality in the Northland. ](*,)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Mizzou05 wrote:yeah since KCTV is in Fairway, KS they will automaticly tell their people to move to joco. Sucks because they dont know how much more they could get for there money and at a better quality in the Northland. ](*,)
Except for the marquee anchors, most TV reporters don't earn the cash to afford JoCo. KMBC and WDAF both have a significant proporation of their personalites living in the Northland. And the big names like Larry Moore, Len Dawson, Phil Witt, etc. tend to gravitate towards the Ward Parkway area.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LIttle research:
Average for a news anchor is $66,000
In top markets, some make over $1,000,000
In the top 25 markets....a reporter averages $54,000

The Star printed how much she made after she got fired and I remember being shocked. It seems like it was something like $100,000 a year.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote:LIttle research:

The Star printed how much she made after she got fired and I remember being shocked. It seems like it was something like $100,000 a year.
Wow the regular reporters get paid better than I thought. I wonder what the average is here in KC, we are somewhere around market #32.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

trailerkid wrote:LIttle research:

Be careful about averages. If you average the salary of a Chicago reporter and a Topeka reporter, you get a pretty decent figure, but it's also misleading, like averaging your salary and Bill Gates' salary to figure out what the average American makes.

Go on the Kansas City Message Board at GatewayCity Radio (http://www.gatewaycityradio.com/message ... cboard.asp) and ask about the low- and high-end reporter salaries in this market. Those folks would know.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Right, but the top markets make A LOT more than the smallest markest. KC is probably considered large to medium size. Where do people in KC go to advance? Chicago, Miami, San Fran, Boston, etc.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KC is the No. 27 or so TV market. We just passed Milwaukee, but I can't remember our exact ranking.

We also need to consider the nuances of each market or each station. For example, I suspect that the average salary just within KCTV was a lot higher when Wendell Anschutz (sp.?), Anne Petersen and other vets were still there. From what I hear, they're filling talent and production positions with younger and thus cheaper people, although they might have opened their checkbook a lot wider when bringing in someone from out of town whom they really wanted.

Like the Dark Side of the Force, cloudy things are.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KC0KEK wrote:KC is the No. 27 or so TV market. We just passed Milwaukee, but I can't remember our exact ranking..
The 2002-2003 list puts us at #33, down from #31. Have you seen the 03-04 list yet? I doubt that we would have jumped 6 places in one year.

http://www.nielsenmedia.com/newsrelease ... 2-03UE.htm
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

#33? We are losing ground. We were #26 a few years ago when I worked for Entercom radio according to arbitron.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Arbitron has us at #29 for radio. The TV and radio market definitions are not the same.