KC Headlines I'd like to see: Columbus Park Plan Emphasizes Coherent Infill

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KC Headlines I'd like to see: 350th Historic Landmark Added Downtown

Post by FangKC »

Note: Listing on the national register does not protect the buildings from demolition, nor does it mandate any specific standards for rehab. A building within a national register historic district, however, can be eligible for state and federal tax credits if rehabbed as required by some very strict historic standards. One can still do whatever one wants with a historic building--including tearing it down. However, if one pursues historic tax credits for renovation, and accepts the money, one must adhere to some design standards set by the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

The only way to prevent demolition is have the City, or an individual purchase it, and place a no-demolition convenant on the property with exceptions included (fire, wind, water loss). Any future buyer must be informed, and accept, the no demolition covenant.

One can also buy it and place it under control of a public or private preservation trust.
There is no fifth destination.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: KC Headlines I'd like to see: 350th Historic Landmark Added Downtown

Post by anniewarbucks »

While this one is unlocked I want to comment on some of the projects put forth here. I do like the Idea of an aquarium downtown as just about every major city has an aquarium. I do not think that St. Louis has one but I have been to the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and was impressed. I do agree that both the north and south loops need to have something to be done with them. placing a deck over them to create a nice park or maybee a parking garage or something to make this a little less like St. Louis with their trench running dontown. It would be nice though if 35 could be rerouted over to 7th st in KCK so that the district that was proposed on this thread could be built without having to worry about dealing with the 4 lanes of traffic. I would like to see more density in the downtown and crossroads and some of the the buildings proposed on this thread would look great in this area. There is a lot of photos on this thread that are from other cities and might not look right in KC but some adaptations would need to be done to say KC instead of the city that the design came from. You did a lot of great work putting this thread together FangKC it is people like you that move mountains.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KC Headlines I'd like to see: Nordstom First Big Store Downtown in 40 Years

Post by FangKC »

29. Grand Boulevard Turns into Real Thing

Nordstrom's First Major Department Store Downtown in 40 Years

Downtown Kansas City will have the first large department store opening since Hall's Department Store opened at Crown Center in the 1960s.

City officials and representatives of Nordstom's Department Store in Seattle announced yesterday a plan to build a large new department store at 16th and Grand Boulevard.

The fantastic announcement surprised even long-time downtown observers, and the secrecy involved was nothing short of miraculous. No one saw it coming.

Mayor Mark Funkhouser says the plans has been in the works for months.

"No one would have believed us had we told them," Funkhouser says.

"We were surprised when Nordstom's approached us about coming into Kansas City," he says. "The fact they chose downtown instead of Johnson County speaks volumes about the prospects for a downtown revival."

Since the closing of the downtown Jones Store in the 1990s, Hall's Crown Center has been the only large department store located downtown.

Nordstrom's will open the first downtown department store in the United States in the Midwest claiming the market for upscale shopping is underserved in Kansas City.  Nordstrom's is a large, upscale, luxury retailer.

A spokesman said, "Kansas City has a high standard of living for a mid-sized American city, and it's been demonstrated that the Kansas City economy is resistent to recession and large economic setbacks. This is the conservative, steady environment in which we hope to launch our move into the United States. The fact Kansas City is in the middle of the country also helps us because people are willing to travel to a Nordstrom's. This is the most convenient location."

The new department store will be located on Grand Boulevard between 16th and 17th streets and McGee. A large parking garage will be constructed under the store, and on a parcel located at 16th and Walnut.  That garage will feature a 20-story residential tower to be constructed by DST Real Estate. It will also serve as the parking facility for the SoHo South Lofts. The store building will have six floors of retail space. No square footage estimates were available at press time.

Rumors have been persistent recently that Harrod's of London will also build and operate a department store on Grand--either at 20th Street or 10th Street.  That would place both department stores within walking distance.

Rumors have also persisted recently that the Firestone Building, also known as Abdiana, will be converted into residential condos.

No parties were found to verify these rumors.

Harrod's flagship store is based in London, and is owned by Saudis, the Al Fayed family, who became more prominent after the death of Dodi Al Fayed and Princess Diana.

Nordstrom's is based in Seattle.
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KC Headlines I'd like to see: Columbus Park Plan Looks for Coherent Infill

Post by FangKC »

30.  Columbus Park Redevelopment Plan Emphasizes Coherent Infill

Vacant Parcels Will Be Developed Under Density Plan

Columbus Park is one of the City's oldest and most historic neighborhoods. It's the epicenter of the Italian community and very recently, the southeast Asian community. It is also one of the most charming. Parts are reminiscent of New Orleans with its' iron wrought porches and balconies and old brick buildings.

The City hopes to turn Columbus Park into a garden district of antebellum and Victorian ambiance.

The City has proposed a new development plan to create infill development in the old neighborhood, seize upon, and exploit the existing charm of the neighborhood.

The plan calls for vacant parcels to be redeveloped with appropriate and sensitive buildings and homes.

Vacant parcels north of E. 5th Street, that are largely surface lots and concrete shell buildings, will be replaced with townhouses and homes similar to those found in garden cities like New Orleans, Charleston, and Savannah.

The Columbus Park community has approved, and welcomes the plan.

City planners hope to bring new residents and businesses to the neighborhood, as well as support and bring customers to existing ones.  The current mix of businesses are seen as a unique asset, and the City wants to make them the anchors of the neighborhood. The district's Italian and Asian businesses are key to the development, and more are planned.

"We want this to be one of the most colorful and diverse neighborhoods in the City," says Mayor Mark Funkhouser. "And we want to keep it affordable."

Real estate prices have been slowly rising over the past decade as older homes and buildings have been renovated.  Still, vacant land is relatively cheap.

"We are going for small-scale development," says the Mayor. "The buildings will remain in scale with what is there.  The expense will come from trying to recreate historic patterns and styles, but we think we can do it."

A portfolio of house and building styles and designs is available to developers, who will benefit from a package of economic incentives like TIF and tax abatements--but only if they follow the guidelines.

"This is an up-and-coming neighborhood still," Funkhouser says. "It has a broad mix of income levels and ethnic residents. We want to make sure it stays that way."

The first part of the plan is to buy and renovate existing buildings and improve the streetscapes. Historic tax credits will be available for renovation and restoration of existing buildings over 50 years of age.

"We plan to remove the more unsightly elements like surface lots with old machinery and equipment sitting on it," Funkhouser says. "We will also renovate blighted properties and make them more attractive."

Before and After -- Blight into Right

The plan calls for massive landscaping improvements, and professional expertise offered to existing property owners in how they can visually develop their neighborhood.  The City has hired consultants to do initial renovations of specific buildings and houses to demonstrate what can be done.

Development north of Fifth Street will be bid out to several different developers so that the neighborhood doesn't appear as pre-planned or artificial.

Colorful buildings will be part of the mix.

Funkhouser says that developers will have to follow some guidelines that are appropriate for the historic neighborhood.  "We want to see similar buildings using a variety of building materials like brick, wood, stone, metal, stucco, and wood shingle.  There won't be any vinyl siding used on new buildings.

"Look for new bungalows and variations on Victorian architecture, cottages, shotgun houses, traditional and and classic styles," Funkhouser says. "You won't see suburban tract houses built here like has been done in the past."

Small mother-in-law apartment and backhouses are encouraged for deep lots.

The infill plan will devote a lot of development to townhouses.

Some of the recent suburban-style tract houses will be purchased and demolished, or retrofitted to be more cohesive with former styles.

"There will be a special effort to avoid Disney-like theme park aspects of the development," says the Mayor. "We don't want kitsch. We want authentic.  We want to make it beautiful by adding decorative and ornamental plantings. We are seeking out developers who have done historically-sensitive project before. Some of the buildings that exist now are fairly simple and can be recreated easily.  Many of the buildings aren't elaborate.

The Mayor says this won't be a historic theme park. "Real folks will live and work here. If they want to dress in period costumes though, I will have no say in the matter."

Some areas will be set aside for historic house relocations from other parts of the city.

"We plan to save some threatened houses, or ones lost in neighborhoods that are no longer residential," Funkhouser says. "There are lots of these types of buildings scattered about sitting by themselves with no historic context. We will also find and move older homes from other communities if need be. Even abandoned farmhouses. It should be interesting."

Elements of the redevelopment style will include brick sidewalks, cobblestone, pea gravel paths, courtyards, clapboard and shingle siding, shutters, window boxes, iron-wrought railings and picket fences, porches, balconies, and a lot of vines, greenery and flowers.  The mayor says it will become our garden district.

Some modern and larger apartment and condo buildings will be constructed near E. 3rd Street and Gillis and north of 3rd near the railroad tracks running through the neighborhood.

Images from the portolio of design styles for Columbus Park.

New homes will be designed following old styles.

Last edited by FangKC on Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: KC Headlines I'd like to see: Columbus Park Plan Emphasizes Coherent Infill

Post by FangKC »

The threshold of 30 headlines has been reached.  This thread is now unlocked.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

so you are done self promoting now?

congrats dude, you must be exhausted!!
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

FangKC wrote: The threshold of 30 headlines has been reached.  This thread is now unlocked.
I beg to differ. I have been able to post a couple of times when you thought you had it locked.
kcdcchef wrote: so you are done self promoting now?

congrats dude, you must be exhausted!!
At least on my Topeka pics thread I am letting people comment as I post new pictures.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Sonfire
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sonfire »

Hey Fang, I really enjoyed your ideas and the creativity and work that went into all of those fictional projects... it got me thinking, and wishing they weren't fictional.  Urban Planning/Architecture would've been a great career fit for you, and it's things like this that make me want to go into that field.
"Your stupid."
"My stupid what?"

"Y-o-u-r... y-o-u-apostrophe-r-e... they're as different as night and day.  Don't you think that night and day are different?  What's wrong with you?"
-Strong Bad
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Thanks Sonfire.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KC Headlines I'd like to see

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:15.  Hallmark to Build Landmark Skyscraper

"Nothing Like It Has Been Seen in Kansas City"

Hallmark Cards, one of Kansas City's largest and oldest employers, has announced they will build a landmark new tower at E. 27th Street and McGee.

The tower will be unlike anything ever built in Kansas City. The 30-story geometric tower will be among the largest buildings in the city when completed.  It will equal in square footage a city block containing a 100-story building. Portions of the building will be constructed over the present garage on E. 27th Street, and another garage to the north at E. 26th and McGee.

Employees will be moved into the new building in phases, and the portions of the present headquarters building will be converted into retail space--expanding Crown Center.

Sears has already committed to opening a Sears brand department store, and a K-Mart discount store in the complex.  Crate & Barrel, a home decor store, has already signed a letter of intent.

Hallmark also announced the expansion of residential condo tower and townhouse construction at Crown Center. More than 2000 additional units will be built over the next 10 years. The units will be located along Gillham Road and the south side of 27th Street from Cherry to Main. A retail district will front E. 27th and portions of Gillham and Grand at streetlevel. Parking will be below grade, and behind the buildings next to Union Cemetery.  One garage will span McGee Trafficway south of E. 27th Street.  The top of the garage deck will be a landscaped courtyard surrounded by condo towers.

Portions of the new multi-colored building will be in the shape of an "H" to signify Hallmark's first letter as a architectural statement.  The building is set to open in 2009.

The company issued a statement indicating that they wanted their building to represent the artistic endeavor of their business. Company officials felt the present headquarters building doesn't make that bold statement.

Walton Construction is primary contractor.

Hallmark and Crown Center Inc. have  plans to build several new residential condo towers and townhomes.

One Day...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KC Headlines I'd like to see: Quality Hill Will Be Finished Says Mayor

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote:16.  Quality Hill Will Be Finished Says Mayor

DST Will Build Headquarters at 12th/Broadway Site

Downtown Will Add Third Drugstore

Mayor Mark Funkhouser surprised almost everyone this week by announcing that developers on Quality Hill would finally undertake the final redevelopment phase and add several new buildings. Some using tax-increment financing.

It will be the first major building spree since the New Quality Hill redevelopment, which started in the 1980s. It is credited with jump-starting rebirth of the western edge of downtown as well as adding the first new residential housing in decades.  New Quality Hill had several phases of redevelopment planned, and this cycle adds to the original vision for the neighborhood.  The neighborhood has been a successful development with 96 percent of residential and retaiul units filled regularly.

DST announced it would build a 38-story headquarters building at 12th and Broadway, the site of a parking lot for many years.  Street-level space will be occupied by a third downtown drugstore--Rite Aid.   The others being CVS at 10th and Main, and Walgreens at 12th and Charlotte. 

DST will be consolidating many of its' employees from scattered sites into a single building. The building will feature interior retail alleys between the building and the Kansas City Southern headquarters building, and another alley running east and west from Broadway to the north-south alley. These spaces will house smaller retail shops.

DST Real Estate officials state that the current demand for downtown commercial rental space is so high that the other DST-owned buildings will easily find new tenants.  Some have already have letters of intent signed.

DST Real Estate has been a major developer on Quality Hill for many years. They have constructed seven new office buildings there over the past 20 years, and renovated many others.

The new corporate headquarters for DST, Lockton, and an apartment tower will be constructed on Quality Hill.  The Skygarden Tower will be constructed on the SW corner of 13th and Broadway, and bring housing for seniors to the Grace Episcopal Church complex.

Lockton Will Build Downtown High-rise

Lockton, a private mutual fund currently housed on the Country Club Plaza, announced it would move downtown, and build a 25-story building on the SW corner of 12th and Washington on a parking lot there east of the former Cordova Hotel.

Four Signature Towers for Jefferson Site

Slated for new construction are the 10th and Jefferson site, which will have four new high-rise condo towers there and nearby, all built by DST Real Estate.  Another large garage will be constructed under the buildings to serve residents and neighbors, and visitors to Case Park. 

One tower will be placed on the SE corner of 10th and Jefferson, which is now the site of the DST community garden.  The other three will be placed west of Jefferson on the former site of the Carriage House and Carlton apartment buildings, and to the east on the SW corner of 10th and Pennsylvania on the site of the former Kersey Coates mansion.  The first tower, at 10th and Summit, will be called One Park Summit, a high-rise with 35-38 stories overlooking the Missouri River and West Bottoms. The Park Summit condos will range in price from $250,000 to $2 million.

DST announced a massive parking garage would be constructed at 12th and Pennsylvania, and residential condo apartments would be constructed around and on top of the garage structure. The land has been cleared for several years. The garage would serve the residents, Lockton, and DST. The apartments will be a mix of rental and condos, which will be priced from $150,000 to $350,000.

Another garage with street-level retail space and offices on top will be constructed on the north side of 12th Street between Summit and Pennsylvania next to the HTNB office building, and that company's employees will occupy all of the expanded office space. HTNB will design that project. DST has already rented the retail spaces, but will not discuss tenants.

Funkhouser says the city hopes to extend the retail district along 12th Street west to the Summit, and eventually into the West Bottoms.  "We have to widen and fix the 12th Street Viaduct and make it a pedestrian link first," said the mayor. "Adding retail along 12th Street will help Quality Hill, and provide for amenities and attractions for the convention district.  The west side of Broadway has remained dead around our important convention center, and needs to be revived.

The mayor would not discuss rumors of a large building  with multiple access on two levels of the bridge being constructed along the south edge of the 12th Street Viaduct.  The rumor indicates a massive parking garage at ground level to the first deck of the bridge and above, with more retail, commercial, and residential space built on top.   Local real estate companies report the rumor mill includes talk of a Designers Trade Mart and wholesale mall.  Rumors of IKEA have been denied repeatedly.

Coates House Will Get New Wing

DST and JTL Properties have partnered to rebuild a new south wing on the former Coates House Hotel. The former south wing was destroyed in a devastating fire in the 1970s that required demolition of that portion of the building. The new wing will have 65 new affordable rental apartments and retail space along Broadway. Two levels of parking will be below grade, and another four levels of parking will be added to Ten Central Parking Garage at 10th and Central.

An additional smaller, apartment building will be constructed on the NE corner of 11th and Pennsylania with parking below grade and on street-level.

Mayor Funkhouser said the Coates House addition would receive tax-increment financing and HUD assistance for creating affordable apartments.   More TIF would be used to create apartments on the west bluff along Jefferson and Pennsylvania since it meets the goal of creating more downtown residential population--one of the city's stated goals.  More than 1500 units of housing will be created under the plan.  Some MODESA funding would be used to construct the DST and Lockton headquarters towers since both companies plan expansion and additional jobs.

An new addition for the former Coates House Hotel is planned. The building will look similar to this building

Transportation planners have confirmed that an additional light rail link may run over the West Loop freeway and have a major station built near the Case Park overlook pavilions.  The light rail stop would link to a new funicular rail tram running from Case Park to Union Avenue in the West Bottoms. Transportation officials will not confirm that the West Loop Freeway will be rerouted west through the West Bottoms over the railyards along the base of the bluff.  Rumors have persisted that Senator Claire McCaskill has been lobbying for the move so that the West Bluff of downtown can be redeveloped and more housing created that will help link downtown to the West Bottoms. McCaskill is also working to obtain funding for capping the North and South Loop freeways, and possibly parts of the East Loop Freeway.

A spokesman for McCaskill confirmed that talks are ongoing. "It's no secret that officials in Kansas City want to minimize the effect of the freeway loop on the cohesiveness of downtown neighborhoods. Their wish is to reunite portions of the city to the pedestrian," she said.  However, she would not confirm the rumor of the West Loop freeway being rerouted, and a possible new connection constructed to the Broadway Bridge over the Kansas City Southern rail lines near 3rd Street and Woodswether Road.

Helzberg Jumps In

Shirley Bush Helzberg, who restored the Blossom Mansion and other buildings at 11th and Pennsylvania, is getting into the act as well. She is building new townhouses on the NE corner of 11th and Jefferson--along with a small parking garage to serve the complex.

A new building planned for the SW corner of 12th and Pennsylvania

Apartment complex on the SW corner of 12th and Jefferson

High-rise condo building planned for 13th and Pennsylvania

Upscale high-rise condo tower planned for the SE corner of 10th and Jefferson

Tower planned for the SW corner of 10th and Jefferson

A new public square will be part of the new apartment community on the NE corner at 11th and Summit. The site sits north across from the HTNB architectural firm.  Another courtyard will face 11th and Jefferson.

Shirley Bush Helzberg will build new townhouses, and a small garage, on the NE corner of 11th and Jefferson as part of her Blossom House complex.

Site plan for the One Park Tower at W. 10th and Summit.  A courtyard will open to the overlook Pavilions on the bluff

The One Park Tower at 10th and Summit

The tower at 10th and Pennsylvania will occupy the site of the Kersey Coates mansion

New retail spaces will line 12th Street between Summit and Pennsylvania

New townhouses will be constructed south of the former Cordova Hotel building on the east side of Pennsylvania between 12th and 13th streets

A new building will be constructed on the NE corner of 11th and Pennsylvania on a former parking lot

More apartments will be built along Pennsylvania near W. 9th Street on a vacant, hilltop site. A residential tower is planned east of these buildings on the SW corner of W. 9th and Washington--the site of the former Washington Street Station restaurant

Another new apartment building is planned for the SE corner of W. 7th and Washington. The building will be built above a below-grade parking garage, and residents will also use parking in the State Street building across Washington

New retail, including a Rite-Aid drugstore, will line Broadway and 12th Street as part of the new DST headquarters building

A new retail building on the NW corner of 13th and Broadway will look similar to this structure

New stairs will be added to Case Park to take visitors and residents down the bluff to a pedestrian bridge crossing the West Loop Freeway, and continuing into the West Bottoms.  Parks and Recreation hope the new stair and bridge will encourage more recreational exercise in the neighborhood

Was all of this actually planned at one time?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Was the original post date April 1 of yesteryear?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No, this was a fantasy exercise, thus the thread name: Headlines I'd Like To See. It was an attempt to visualize the rebuilding of the city's urban core by fantasy boosterism.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

And it appears Columbus Park infill is a fantasy. Hard to believe, as this has got to be one of the most attractive and strategically located tracts of undeveloped land in the core.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Its situations like this where it shows that the formulas developers use to make decisions aren't worth a damn.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Columbus Park redevelopment frustrates me to no end. If you can't create better density in such a close-in downtown neighborhood, how can one attempt to rebuild population density in other parts of the city south of the river where it's been lost?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:The Columbus Park redevelopment frustrates me to no end. If you can't create better density in such a close-in downtown neighborhood, how can one attempt to rebuild population density in other parts of the city south of the river where it's been lost?
I bet we have greater density in the urban core than we did in the 1910s.

remember, there were a large number of 2-3 story buildings, even downtown, compared to today.

18th and Vine is a good example and what's left is not really dense.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

flyingember wrote:
FangKC wrote:The Columbus Park redevelopment frustrates me to no end. If you can't create better density in such a close-in downtown neighborhood, how can one attempt to rebuild population density in other parts of the city south of the river where it's been lost?
I bet we have greater density in the urban core than we did in the 1910s.
No Way - For one thing families had like 7 or 8 kids per house, nowadays espcially in the core we are seeing one person per apartment
Just think of all the parking lots, freeways, widened roads, stores with huge parking lots (Midtown Marketplace) those were all houses at one time. I heard from somewhere that at one time from Downtown to 39th street then from Downtown to like Benton Blvd the city of KC had about 400k in just those boundaries

In 1910 the city already had 250k, i bet the city limits only went to 39th street in 1910
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, achieving population density is completely different today. In the past, more people lived within single dwellings w/ less square footage. People have fewer children. There are a lot more older people--and many of those are living alone in houses that used to have several people. Almost half the housing units in KC south of the river are occupied by single adults--many retired seniors, who don't pay the earnings tax. They buy fewer things per household, and thus pay less in sales taxes and other fees.

As Brewcrew1000 stated, more land area is devoted to highways, roads, and parking lots, that means the remaining land area devoted to housing and business needs to be even more dense that in the past to rebuild healthier population densities that provide a tax base that supports city services at the proper level. This is so the city can be maintained, and not in constant decline (no maintenance or long-term deferred maintenance).

The other long-term problem is that Kansas CIty has about the same number of people it had at its' historic population high, but they are spread over a much larger city incorporated land area than in the past. That has only added to the infrastructure and service demands.

You cannot use Greater Downtown as an example because it is only a very small percentage of the City's land area. The rest of the City is much less dense, and if you are talking south of the river, the population density levels are much less dense than in the past. It's not just vacant houses and lots. It's mostly demographic changes. Population gains in greater downtown doesn't solve that problem.

Flyingember cites apartment buildings in 1910 around greater downtown. Yes, there were 2-3 story buildings, but there were blocks and blocks of them. Many of those blocks of housing outside the Loop have been completely cleared. Paseo West used to be a completely residential neighborhood.