Sprint Jobs!

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sprint Jobs!

Post by KCPowercat »

Wow, over react much? If you think Sprint is the only tech jobs in this metro, you need to break out of that campus.....I know many tech guys and none of us were silly enough to work for Sprint. They were way overhiring when I broke out of college and now they are paying for it.

If you need to get back to Texas, go back with their 7%+ unemployement.....at least you won't have to pay income taxes, huh?

According to monstermoving.com, Cost of Living is 52% higher in Dallas compared to KC....so better look for a bit higher paying job...lack of income taxes won't account for much of that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

KC

Post by GuyInLenexa »

http://www.bankrate.com/goocalb/movecalc.asp

Compare Kansas City to Fort Worth, Houston, Arlington, Lubbock, Bryan, Midland. To be honest I never lived in Dallas proper. But these other places are where I have been looking at potential jobs.

I have lived in both states, have you KC? I respect you opinion, but I am only speaking what I know.

My position is not directly with the IT group, but it will be vulnerable when the next, more significant, job cuts are made in the near future.

I have worked for Sprint for over 15 years. I do not want to lose my job. My statement on this thread is that many of the people will have to leave KC, like many did during the last rift at Sprint in 2001. There are not enough jobs that would match my background here.

I am not over reacting, as you stated. I am not saying KC will be doomed, I am only saying that many will leave KC. I love it here, I would not be on this forum if I did not have an interest in this city. I just know of many others that have the same feeling and intent.

Check the site out, look at he cities mentioned. I realize that many sources of cost of living vary.

Yours,

LG
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sprint Jobs!

Post by KCPowercat »

Have I lived in Texas, hell no...nor would I admit it.....

The only thing I have a problem with is you saying all these people are going to be flooding out of KC when Sprint lays people off...I'm sure some do.....you mention 2001.....KC's growth rate estimate in 2001 was one around the better growth rates of any metro area that year....this city is not and will not shrink or lose any significant population from Sprint cutting jobs.

Kind of tough to compare KCMo cost of living to Lubbock & Midland isn't it? Shouldn't we compare apples to apples?

Hope you don't get cut either.....that's never fun.

GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Thanks, KC

Post by GuyInLenexa »

Thanks for the comment on getting cut.
However, if KC is an apple, Dallas must be a water melon :D . Fort Worth, Austin, El Paso, or San Antonio are the two Texas cities that are close to KCs size.
I never meant to say that there will be a mass exodus from here. It is a loss though if higher paying jobs are lost.
Like you said in one of your previous posts, this trend is nationwide (offshoring). What and who is next after Sprint, it is only a matter of time.
I too hope that I am not cut, I love this place. I don't want to leave it. But I am afraid that choice may have to be made soon.

Thanks for this website KC, I have learned so much about this city from it.
I have shared it with many of my friends.

LG
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Sprint Jobs!

Post by ShowME »

Your right I thought for some reason DFW was around 8%. Dallas is at 7.4% and Fort Worth is below that.

http://www.bls.gov/web/laummtrk.htm

Still I have many friends which live down there and my pay is totally equal to there's. The difference is there quality of life is sacrificed by living in there freaking cars 24/7 due to traffic. And I'm sooo tired of the no income tax b/s which all Texans state. You may have a point on income taxes being less but enjoy paying 9% sales taxes.
Calling a spade a spade.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Sprint Jobs!

Post by KCPowercat »

according to census.gov estimates from 2001 to 2002...even Overland Park gained 4,300 people in that one year....

Agreed on no income tax vs. sales tax...the state will get their money....I guess whatever makes you feel better about it.

DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Sprint Jobs!

Post by DanCa »

You'll know it's bad if housing prices take a dive. That happened out here in the LA area in the early 90's. During this recession, the economy here has done decent - especially compared to other areas. And the housing market is insane. It could stand to take a dump at this point, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.