Kansas City Officially Has A New Mayor - Mark Funkhouser

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Kansas City Officially Has A New Mayor - Mark Funkhouser

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

im2kull wrote: The council is being blamed just as much as the mayor...as they should be!
Then have a recall petition for the whole council.

Unfortunately for the Funk, and for the city, he has failed to realize that there is more to being a mayor than just being "The Mayor".  It is a game of politics and he just doesn't understand the rules of the game.  As an elected official, instead of an employee, he does have some rights that are protected by the charter.  And being incompetent or failing to understand the rules of the game is not grounds for a recall.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And being incompetent or failing to understand the rules of the game is not grounds for a recall.
The "rules" he breaks are only the legal terms for the recall, but make no mistake...those aren't the reasons people are pushing for him to be recalled.

...I doubt most Kansas Citians really care about where he has meetings, and how much help he gets from his wife.  Believe me, there is just as much hatred towards the council.  Its just that we haven't found anything legal to pin on the council...yet...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And being incompetent . . . is not grounds for a recall.
I can't believe you wrote that and if you re-read that statement, I bet you would be hard pressed to believe it.

I'm not going to split hairs.  I think the charter requirements are bogus.  Funk is a sham.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

cdm2p wrote: I can't believe you wrote that and if you re-read that statement, I bet you would be hard pressed to believe it.

I'm not going to split hairs.  I think the charter requirements are bogus.  Funk is a sham.
No problem in believing it.  And the charter is what the charter is, whether you think the requirements are bogus or not.  It is written so that mayor/councilpeople are not recalled just because they are not liked, vote one way on an issue, or one fails a popularity test.

He may be a sham, and many other things, but that is not listed as a reason in the charter for a recall.

FYI:

Sec. 720.5.  Grounds for recall.
Grounds for recall must relate to and affect the administration of the officials office, and be of a substantial nature directly affecting the rights and interests of the public. Grounds for recall are limited to objective reasons which reasonable people, regardless of their political persuasion, could agree would render any officials performance ineffective, which must be an act of misfeasance, the improper performance of some act which may lawfully be done, or malfeasance, the commission of some act wholly beyond the officials authority, or nonfeasance, the failure to perform a required duty. The Council shall not fail to place the matter before the voters based on the inadequacy of the grounds stated by the committee of petitioners.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Recall the Funk Updates

http://www.funkhouserrecall.com/

Looks like downloadable petitions are now available.

April 9 update

We’re preparing for opening day at the “K” tomorrow. We’ll be out in force at Kauffman stadium tomorrow circulating petitions. Anyone interested in circulating petitions at Kauffman Stadium on Home Opener Day is encouraged to contact us, or download the petitions and come out in force and help us gather as many signatures as possible. This will be a tremendous opportunity to make a huge impact by gathering a large amount of signatures in a very short period of time.

Petition signing locations and contact information:

Plaza library daily from 10-noon
Out south call Judy Sherry at 797-8676, judysherry@kc.rr.com
Southeast call Susan Ramirez 333-1116, susan_ramirezkc@yahoo.com
Far Southeast (out by Raytown) call Brenda Richardson, brichard50@yahoo.com
North of the River call Donna Cushman, 668-8273, phrogworks@kc.rr.com
East call Brian Noland, 506-1948, briannoland@hotmail.com
Downtown, OfficePortKC, 208 W. 19th St., M-F, 9-5
West Side is hosting a petition signing event on April 25 from 11-3 at 17th and Summit or call Charles Lona, 337-5234.
Northeast call Michael Hart, 668-1948, funkhouserrecall@ymail.com
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: No problem in believing it.  And the charter is what the charter is, whether you think the requirements are bogus or not.  It is written so that mayor/councilpeople are not recalled just because they are not liked, vote one way on an issue, or one fails a popularity test.

He may be a sham, and many other things, but that is not listed as a reason in the charter for a recall.

FYI:

Sec. 720.5.  Grounds for recall.
Grounds for recall must relate to and affect the administration of the officials office, and be of a substantial nature directly affecting the rights and interests of the public. Grounds for recall are limited to objective reasons which reasonable people, regardless of their political persuasion, could agree would render any officials performance ineffective, which must be an act of misfeasance, the improper performance of some act which may lawfully be done, or malfeasance, the commission of some act wholly beyond the officials authority, or nonfeasance, the failure to perform a required duty. The Council shall not fail to place the matter before the voters based on the inadequacy of the grounds stated by the committee of petitioners.
Jeezus AKP...

The reason he is getting a recall against him is for violating various state laws..by having meetings at his house, and having squiterooo "help" out in the office.  Go read the paper man, this isn't simply a popularity contest, there's a legal backing to the recall effort. If it were simply a popularity contest the entire council would be on the verge of getting de-throned, not just the "funk".

Hence my comment:
im2kull wrote: The "rules" he breaks are only the legal terms for the recall, but make no mistake...those aren't the reasons people are pushing for him to be recalled.

...I doubt most Kansas Citians really care about where he has meetings, and how much help he gets from his wife.  Believe me, there is just as much hatred towards the council.  Its just that we haven't found anything legal to pin on the council...yet...
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

What state laws has he violated?  The last time I checked he has not been charged with a crime so is there a secret indictment out there somewhere?  Having meetings at his house is not a crime.  And where is the state charge for hiring his wife?

You say there is a legal backing to the effort.  OK, I give up.  What is the "legal backing"?  What are his crimes?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

im2kull wrote: You may not care about the Council, But I, along with thousands of other voters....would Beg the differ.  The council is being blamed just as much as the mayor...as they should be!

Please, Use your Noggin when posting.
Thanks for the advice. 

My point is that the Mayor, as opposed to the council, has responsibilities and duties above and beyond day-to-day city management.  When it comes to passing ordinances, filling vacancies, drafting budgets, etc., the mayor and council are one in the same.  I'm with you 100%.  But, let's be honest, this area of Funkhouser's job description has not truly been the problem.  Sure, he hasn't been perfect, but his management hasn't been totally incompetent. 

Unlike the council, however, Funkhouser also has the role of "leader" and "advocate."  He has the job to campaign the legislatures and politicians and business leaders for their support of Kansas City initiatives.  He has to be a politician.  Steve Glorioso was on 980 the other day deriding the mayor for this.  Granted, he had a lot of influence with Barnes and is biased, but his point was valid.  Barnes and Funkhouser were night and day with respect to their political charisma.  Barnes was close with players in D.C. and Jeff City.  Funkhouser is close with the NKC park board and Brookside parade committee.

Why do you think that Gloria debacel gets so much play?  Because it's a story which just reinforces the negative perception that Kansas Citians already have of the guy.  He's a political bafoon.   

Last edited by KC-wildcat on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

MidtownCat wrote: Recall the Funk Updates

http://www.funkhouserrecall.com/

Looks like downloadable petitions are now available.

We should really have this post pinned up at the top so that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Kauffman Stadium Ribbon Cutting Ceremony:

notably absent... the mayor of Kansas City. 
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: What state laws has he violated?  The last time I checked he has not been charged with a crime so is there a secret indictment out there somewhere?  Having meetings at his house is not a crime.  And where is the state charge for hiring his wife?

You say there is a legal backing to the effort.  OK, I give up.  What is the "legal backing"?  What are his crimes?
Let me put this another way.  The new charter sets the bar pretty low.  You can be a member of the council unless you are a tried and convicted criminal. 

Is that what you are arguing, akp?  My standard is much higher than that of the charter.  If you are incompetent, you should be out.  Funk is incompetent.  He should be out.

He did, by the way, get fined by the ethics commission.  That may not be part of the petition but that is an act of misfeasance.

Recall the funk.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

KC-wildcat wrote: Kauffman Stadium Ribbon Cutting Ceremony:

notably absent... the mayor of Kansas City. 
Actually I saw him today as he was (apparently) leaving during the 5th inning.  I really wanted to say something clever like "you suck!" but alas, I pussed out.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

cdm2p wrote: He did, by the way, get fined by the ethics commission.  That may not be part of the petition but that is an act of misfeasance.
If I remember correctly that had to do with campaign finances and reporting, which has nothing to do with the office of the mayor.  Elected officials get charged all of the time for that and pay fines and still remain in office.

So try something else.

Incompetence has nothing to do with a recall, especially since that is a personal opinion and not a crime so-to-speak.
omenapt
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by omenapt »

Face it , AKP just defends him because FUNK is  just an Anti-TIF, anti-development, books-in-order ,bean counter  kinda guy..!

that rates high with many folks!
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: If I remember correctly that had to do with campaign finances and reporting, which has nothing to do with the office of the mayor.  Elected officials get charged all of the time for that and pay fines and still remain in office.

So try something else.

Incompetence has nothing to do with a recall, especially since that is a personal opinion and not a crime so-to-speak.
You set too low a bar.  An ethics violation is still a violation, particularly for a politician.  I dare him to sue to try to get the petition thrown out because of your silly argument.  He will be finished politically if he does that.

Incompetence is still incompetence.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

cdm2p wrote: You set too low a bar.  An ethics violation is still a violation, particularly for a politician.  I dare him to sue to try to get the petition thrown out because of your silly argument.  He will be finished politically if he does that.

Incompetence is still incompetence.
This dunce is finished politically, regardless.  One thing we should know perfectly clearly by now is that when if comes to Mark Funkhouser, you can go ahead and throw any conceptions you may have of normal behavior from a high profile, public, political figure right out the window.  The man has proven to us time and time again that he has no qualms whatsoever embarrassing himself, his family, or the city he serves.  I have no doubt in my mind he'll sue if the recall goes through.  That's just the way Funk and Glo roll.

But, let's focus on first things first.

Now's the time to start gang banging these petitions and making sure we get those 17,000 signatures!!!!!!!
Last edited by MidtownCat on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

I signed the petition today at the Plaza library.
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

Maybe this has been answered before, but what happens after a recall? Who becomes the new mayor? Will s/he be any better? How disruptive will the whole process be?

I'm on the fence on this. I'm disappointed in the funk, but I'm not sure this is better.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

My main concern about the recall is how much it will cost the city vs. whatever Funkhouser will cost the city.
KC is the way to be!
cdm2p
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by cdm2p »

If the petition is certified, a recall election will be scheduled at the next regularly scheduled election (August).  It wouldn't be a special election so it wouldn't cost the city anything.  At the election, voters decide whether Funkhouser should be recalled. 

If the petition is certified, those wishing to replace Funkhouser will also need to gether signatures to place their names on the same ballot (August).  Funkee cannot run to replace himself.  The candidate that wins 50% plus 1 of the votes becomes our new mayor and serves out the rest of Funkhouser's remaining term.  If there's nobody that gets the majority, then a run-off is scheduled at the next regularly scheduled election (November).  In the mean time, the mayor pro-tem serves as mayor.

Is there anybody better than Funkhouser out there?  Absolutely.  If not, leaving the seat vacant would be better than having Funkhouser as mayor.

I will say this: sign the petitions.  Give people a chance to vote whether this man should remain in office.