Home siding patch-up / installation

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Home siding patch-up / installation

Post by Gladstoner »

I have a bit of a problem with my house. The bat-and-board siding is wearing out in places, which is bad enough. But last night I heard a ruckus outside and found a bastard raccoon trying to tear into the side of the house. The problem is that it is up high and is on a second story portion above a 45-degree roof. There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that I'm even going up there with a ladder, let alone try to fix it.

I'm really not even sure who would do that kind of work. Basically, the siding needs to be replaced in spots and then painted. Does anyone know who to talk to about such a problem. I thought of places like Home Depot, but I figure they'd be expensive and hire the same fly-by-nights that I'd find by doing yellow-page roulette. I figure some folks here doing fixer-uppers in the older hoods may have had experience in this area.

Like GRID with his flooring question, I'm not sure if this topic is approprate for the forum, but I figure any information given may come in handy for those in an emergency.
A fool and your money are soon united.
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Home siding patch-up / installation

Post by K.C.Highrise »

HalcyonKC
New York Life
New York Life

Post by HalcyonKC »

There's a bulletin board at work I sometimes look to for these sorts of referrals.  I like it since it's not open to any old jake-legged, self-promoting member of the general public.  Anyway, "siding damaged by woodpecker" came up and this was a recommendation.  Unfortunately I can't attest myself since I don't have personal experience with this individual.

Try Mark Slugantz of Slugantz Home Repair.  816.880.3703.  Does work anywhere in the KC Metro area, and has been doing home repair since 1983.  He does not remodel or replace roofs or carpet.  Some of what he does do:

Electrical
Plumbing
Heating
Air conditioning
Appliances
Wood rot/damage
Power wash
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Make sure any contractor you hire has insurance.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

And don't forget the referrels.  Might also check to see if he has a city license.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

nota wrote: Make sure any contractor you hire has insurance.
First, thanks all for the pointers and advice.

I recently saw first hand the value of a contractor having insurance. Some neighbors had their home reroofed. When the suppliers propped all the pallets of material on the apex of the roof, the ridge line sagged down noticably. I heard that there was extensive buckling in the walls and ceilings inside. Oopsy! :oops:  The roofers said another company, who dropped off the supplies, was responsible because they didn't spread them out evenly. But then the roofers didn't notice anything amiss and finished the job like everything was hunky-dory (that was a bit of humor that I managed to find in the disaster). I really hope for their sake that at least one of the clown outfits involved had insurance, because the fine mess is gonna cost a pretty penny.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If the roofing contractor arranged for the supplier then that contractor should be resposible to the property owner.  It would then be the contractor's resposnsiblity to go against the supplier.  It may not always work out that way but the general contractor is to be responsible for any subs.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: If the roofing contractor arranged for the supplier then that contractor should be resposible to the property owner.  It would then be the contractor's resposnsiblity to go against the supplier.  It may not always work out that way but the general contractor is to be responsible for any subs.
Absolutely. If I was the roofer, or one of the employees, I would have immediately ceased all work and contacted the supplier. Instead, they just merrily completed the job. Amazing.

What's funny is the roofers' company sign is still in their yard. I really should snap a photo.
Last edited by Gladstoner on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Regarding my siding issue.... I may have scared off the raccoon for the time being. I think it was young so a tossed pebble and a little yelling seemed to do the trick.

But sure as shinola, they will be back. In the past, I've encountered coons that were more like mafiosos. If they can't find an easy way in, they'll just tear a hole in the roof. A bee-bee in the butt was necessary to convince one to leave my attic.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Gladstoner wrote: I recently saw first hand the value of a contractor having insurance. Some neighbors had their home reroofed. When the suppliers propped all the pallets of material on the apex of the roof, the ridge line sagged down noticably. I heard that there was extensive buckling in the walls and ceilings inside. Oopsy! :oops: 
Another problem I've seen is when a load of drywall isn't distributed around a home. Instead, they get lazy and just drop it all against one or two walls closest to the window or door that they brought it in.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Gladstoner wrote: First, thanks all for the pointers and advice.

I recently saw first hand the value of a contractor having insurance. Some neighbors had their home reroofed. When the suppliers propped all the pallets of material on the apex of the roof, the ridge line sagged down noticably. I heard that there was extensive buckling in the walls and ceilings inside. Oopsy! :oops:  The roofers said another company, who dropped off the supplies, was responsible because they didn't spread them out evenly. But then the roofers didn't notice anything amiss and finished the job like everything was hunky-dory (that was a bit of humor that I managed to find in the disaster). I really hope for their sake that at least one of the clown outfits involved had insurance, because the fine mess is gonna cost a pretty penny.
Actually, I was speaking of contractor's liability covering the work, the materials, and also if any of the employees gets hurt.