KCMO Should have...

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCDevin

KCMO Should have...

Post by KCDevin »

Kansas City, Missouri should have some kind of Disney theme park IMO, it would be between DisneyLand and Disney World and plus, they would not exist if not for Kansas City, and a little mouse ;)
Why havent we got alot of attention from them?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KCMO Should have...

Post by KC0KEK »

KCI is underutilized, so shift all of the airlines to terminals A and C. Demolish terminal B. From the air, KCI then looks like the outline of Mickey Mouse's head. Voila. Disney will jump to cut a deal, such as renaming KCI "Mickey Mouse International." Heck, the airport code is already MCI, so that's taken care of, too.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

KCMO Should have...

Post by bahua »

And we could open offices in KC that specialize in lobbying congress members into perpetuating copyrights, as well as homogenizing all American culture into Disney's horrible vision of boy-bands, DRM, and whatever else the RIAA and the MPAA want.

Disney needs to stay the hell away from this town.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

KCMO Should have...

Post by DanCa »

Yuck! No more Disneys! I live 5 miles from Disneyland and haven't been there in 13 years. WOF is much better if you ask me. Plus Disney is a year-round park attracting visitors in the winter too. They'd all freeze to death in KC!

Here's an idea for KCI. With that new double-deck Airbus A380 airliner coming out next year, why doesn't KCI take advantage of the situation and become an international hub for this jumbo jet? Many airports runways and terminals can't handle it. As I recall, KCI's runways can handle a 747, so they would be able to handle the A380 plus the terminals aren't tight for planes to pull up to. .
KCDevin

KCMO Should have...

Post by KCDevin »

People travel to Disney theme parks because they are "tourist attractions" a Disney theme park in KC would increase tourism and stuff, give the city more money and promote us. Maybe it could be our "Six Flags" which we should have had in the first place.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

KCMO Should have...

Post by DanCa »

All the Disney them parks are in more "exotic" locations where people also go on vacation for many other reasons. They attract many foreign vacationers also. As much as I love KC, I don't think Disney would ever build a park there. If you live in Pittsburgh and your kids want to visit Mickey, where are you going to travel to? Florida, where they can also see the ocean, Epcot, and many other things? Or KC, which, other than Disney, has nothing you can't already see at home?

KC already has a "Six Flags" - Worlds of Fun. They're basically the same. I've been to 3 Six Flags and WOF is about the same size with similar rides and attractions.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

KCMO Should have...

Post by KC0KEK »

For a couple of months, there's been a rumor that Disney wants to buy Six Flags, although that seems like an odd fit because Six Flags uses Warner Bros. characters.

What about WOF's owner, Cedar Fair? Are they big enough that Disney could buy them and a few other regional operators to cobble together a chain to compete with Six Flags?
Good2Great
New York Life
New York Life

KCMO Should have...

Post by Good2Great »

The flaw with the OZ Themepark was simple. If you live in anytown USA and have the opportunity to spend your family vacation in Sunny Anaheim, Sunny Orlando or Kansas City............
KCSKYSCRAPERS changed my life. I was on the edge until I visited this site. Now I find myself longing to dive off a 60 story building onto a frozen fountain paying tribute to the St. Louis Arch.
KCDevin

KCMO Should have...

Post by KCDevin »

dude, thats not cool, you acted like we are nothing compared to those other cities...

Anyhow, I would rather go to WOF and OOF (heh thats cool) than go to STL Six Flags, why did they build one there anyway? I betcha it was cause of the arch... (It always is, the only thing you ever see of STL is the arch)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

KCMO Should have...

Post by bahua »

I think they built it there because it is a greater crossroads than KC, and with about a million more people St. Louis would be better able to keep the park used than KC.

I think Good2Great was referring to the fact that KC doesn't have palm trees and sunny beaches. Those are difficult things for a midwestern town to compete with.
KCDevin

KCMO Should have...

Post by KCDevin »

not really, we could, maybe we should do some stuff to Smithville and make it a little like the Lake of the Ozarks or Truman Lake?
I'd really like Smithville to be the best lake north of Jeff City in several states ;)

Why does the president stop in STL? I like him, but he'd best come to KC once and a while. It makes me mad, even he promotes STL in a way. STL has too much recognition and is promoted too much, Its alread... forget it, i wont start another argument ;)
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

KCMO Should have...

Post by bahua »

Well, it used to be a really major city(8th largest in the US in 1950 with 856k people!), and now, even though it has slid significantly in population, it is still generally more regarded as a 'major city' than KC, and is in a unique position of being simultaneously an eastern, southern, midwestern, western, and northern city all at once, so it's easy for a lot of very different people to identify with it.

Like Missouri, St. Louis is very marginal, and that marginality helps define it. KC is very marginal, too, but not in the eastern sense, and that works against its recognition, I think.

In addition, it lies at the intersection of a lot of very important roads, and it more easily accessible to the more heavily populated central midwest(IL, IN, WI) than KC is.

....and disney still sucks. ;)
KCDevin

KCMO Should have...

Post by KCDevin »

..and so does STL ;)
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

KCMO Should have...

Post by phxcat »

Also, I think that a lot of what St. Louis gets stems fro mthe "Bloody Shirt" concept left over from reconstruction. For about 100 years after the Civil War, nothing would go to the Confederacy. If you look at baseball- confederate states had no baseball teams until the 50's, despite viable markets in Atlanta, Miami, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, and possible some others. LBJ was the first southern president since before the Civl War. Because MO never officially seceeded, it was imune to that treatment, and because of that, I think that St. Louis has became an unofficial capital of the South- at least in the western part ofthe Confederacy. The Cardinals have a huge fan base running to the states south of MO.

This may have played a part in Six Flag's decission- Just speculating!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KCMO Should have...

Post by StL_Dan »

When people think of major cities in Missouri most probably think "St Louis" rather than Kansas City for a couple of other reasons:

Kansas City
Kansas Jayhawks

Folks from the east coast and left coast usually don't even care where KC is located, but fall back on these two simple things when put to the test.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

KCMO Should have...

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KCDevin wrote:Why does the president stop in STL?
I don't want that retarded, coke-sniffin', beady-eyed bum comin' to Kansas City anyway...let him go to St. Louis all he wants! All I wanna know is where is Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, or WMD? We blew a lot of shit up and still have nothin' to show for it except for several billion dollars of detonated weapons, 250 American body bags, and every nation's citizens on the globe wantin' to be our enemies! :evil:

Anyhow, I payed $22 for 12 gallons this morning...no wonder the ATA is goin' to cut routes...gas isn't gettin' any cheaper! Sorry, I'm pissed...I love our President, really. :twisted:
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

KCMO Should have...

Post by StL_Dan »

QueSi2Opie wrote:
KCDevin wrote:Why does the president stop in STL?
I don't want that retarded, coke-sniffin', beady-eyed bum comin' to Kansas City anyway...let him go to St. Louis all he wants! All I wanna know is where is Bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, or WMD? We blew a lot of shit up and still have nothin' to show for it except for several billion dollars of detonated weapons, 250 American body bags, and every nation's citizens on the globe wantin' to be our enemies! :evil:

Anyhow, I payed $22 for 12 gallons this morning...no wonder the ATA is goin' to cut routes...gas isn't gettin' any cheaper! Sorry, I'm pissed...I love our President, really. :twisted:
I'm pretty much thinking the same thing as you, Q.

$1.83...holy crap. It's still $1.74 at Olathe QTs.
tw
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

this article explains..

Post by tw »

it quite nicely on why stl. get more presidential visits than kc

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 624532.htm
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: this article explains..

Post by StL_Dan »

tw wrote:it quite nicely on why stl. get more presidential visits than kc

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 624532.htm
who gives a rip.

we have taller and more plentious skyscrapers than st louis.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

KCMO Should have...

Post by DanCa »

Speaking of gas prices, it shot up out here fast. 3 weeks ago I was paying $1.49. I just paid $2.03 yesterday for the cheap stuff. The highest it ever got out here that I paid was $2.13 for low grade 87 octane.

Regarding Six Flags, is it more of a brand or name recognition reason for wanting one in KC? I heard that S.F. bought out Elitch's in Denver, but it didn't seem as big as WOF to me. Great location though - on the SW side of downtown. Everything's downtown in Denver.

I won't touch the presidential topic. If I don't have anything nice to say...