I-70 Speedway

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCDevin

I-70 Speedway

Post by KCDevin »

Does anyone think we should improve and enlargen the I-70 speedway to rival the Kansas speedway?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I-70 Speedway

Post by dangerboy »

Why? What reason? Just to have a rival in Missouri? That doesn't make any sense. Nascar is already over built and their drivers are complaining they already have too many races.
KCDevin

I-70 Speedway

Post by KCDevin »

why not? ;)
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

I-70 Speedway

Post by trailerkid »

Devin...Kansas has one attraction, the Speedway, and you can't handle that? KCMO has the Zoo, the Nelson, Downtown, the Plaza, Westport, and the Sports Complex, and World's of Fun to name a few. How would you feel if Shawnee built a new theme park to compete with World's of Fun?
KCDevin

I-70 Speedway

Post by KCDevin »

dude, i can handle that, however I think KCMO could improve its speedway,
the zoo also needs improving.

And do you have a problem with me or something cuz it sounds like you do, if you do, why?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

I-70 Speedway

Post by trailerkid »

Building another Speedway the size of Kansas Speedway is the exact same thing as Olathe building Nations of Fun. It bothers me because it seems the only reason you want a replica Speedway on the Missouri side is just to destory something viable on the Kansas side. If roles were reversed, Missourians would be crying bloody murder. Besides, the Missouri side has EVERYTHING!
KCDevin

I-70 Speedway

Post by KCDevin »

actually no, just a thought. I have wondered if we had a speedway (i assume before KS had its) why KS built one instead of us improving ours.
Do you all really think I still have a thing against KS? Because I don't. The only thing with KS i have is MU and KU ;)
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

I-70 Speedway

Post by Rooster_Ties »

My father-in-law is a NASCAR fanatic, and as I understand it - the I-70 Speadway is entirely a much, MUCH smaller and/or less-significant track than the Kansas Speedway. One that could not be improved much or enlarged, without completely tearing it down and starting over from scratch.

This is the case now, and was the case back before the Kansas Speadway was built. "Improving" the I-70 Speadway was never even discussed as an option (as far as I know), when the discussions about where to build a Kansas City area NASCAR track.

The area (for at least couple-hundred miles in any direction) can only support one large-scale race-track, so it wouldn't be at all viable to build another big one on the MO side.
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I-70 Speedway

Post by dangerboy »

Devin,

The I-70 Speedway is just a small dirt oval for stock cars and midgets. There is no way it could have been improved to the size of a Nascar track. Besides, that location east of Odessa would not have had the infrastructure to support 100,000 visitors. It wasn't a matter of Kansas City neglecting to improve "its" speedway, which isnt' even in Kansas City but rather rural Lafayatte County.

I don't think you understand the history of the Kansas Speedway. Nascar decided to build a track in the KC region and considered proposals from all over the metro area. The two finalists were the current site and KCMO site in Platte County. In the end Nascar chose Wyandotte. The decision was made and we need to move on. We'll never have two Nascar tracks.
KCDevin

I-70 Speedway

Post by KCDevin »

i know that the I-70 one is dirt and crud, my point is that even if it was to be torn apart that it would be worth it, it wouldnt even have to be a nascar track, isnt there any kind of racing that is lower than nascar? I'd think the local racing would be kinda boring, maybe stock car racing? :)
Ooh, does KC have a track (running)?
KCgridlock

I-70 Speedway

Post by KCgridlock »

There is nothing wrong with I-70 Speedway, it is supposed to be one of the country's best small tracks. It's not dirt, it's paved and it's got some nice high banks. It's out in the middle of nowhere, Odessa is not KC. The Kansas Speedway turned out to be a very nice development. I am not a race fan in the least even thought I do attend a race every few years when the opportunity arises. The location of the speedway couldn't be more perfect, near two major freeways that are extremely under capacity and in an area that needed a boost to spark development. The location near KCI would have sucked and would have slowed the suburban type growth in the KCI area.

KCMO has plenty of issues that need dealing with, a little race track 50 miles from Downtown isn't one of them. As a matter of fact, development is creeping up on KCIR on Noland and it's days are numbered.

Plus, since KC has a major track, even places like Denver, StL and Omaha will have a hard time getting big races, let alone another big track in the KC area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

I-70 Speedway

Post by KCPowercat »

No more Neckcar.....there is no problem with KS having some solid $$$ gainers....keep Neckcar out of MO.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

I-70 Speedway

Post by dangerboy »

KC wrote:No more Neckcar.....there is no problem with KS having some solid $$$ gainers....keep Neckcar out of MO.
What's with all of this "neckcar" crap? You have a seriously incorrect perception if you think Nascar is a redneck phenomenon. It's the most expensive of all spectator sports, and the demand for corporate suites blows away anything in MLB or NFL.

Check out their demographics http://www.hire-speed.com/web/nascardemos.htm
KCDevin

I-70 Speedway

Post by KCDevin »

i like racing, but i prefer MLB and the NFL alot more. racing doesnt have much action until someone crashes. They even said while these guys were racing that most people go to races to wait for a crash :P
Im sure we could just sit on the side of one of the highways and wait for crashes.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

I-70 Speedway

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:What's with all of this "neckcar" crap? You have a seriously incorrect perception if you think Nascar is a redneck phenomenon. It's the most expensive of all spectator sports, and the demand for corporate suites blows away anything in MLB or NFL.

Check out their demographics http://www.hire-speed.com/web/nascardemos.htm

I'm sorry, but true NASCAR fans are rednecks and hicks! Maybe I-70 Speedway can change to Formula One.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

I-70 Speedway

Post by QueSi2Opie »

dangerboy wrote:It's the most expensive of all spectator sports, and the demand for corporate suites blows away anything in MLB or NFL
I read that NASCAR points to even mix of white trash, crackers and rednecks as evidence of diversity in fan base. It's a true melting pot in sports today and will surely replace our national past-time because these fans have to save a ton of money for the 1 to 2 big NASCAR races a season at the Kansas Speedway.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.