According to the 2001 Census Map KC is...

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

umm ya, but i got it a while ago.
ha that really stinks for them then doesn't it? i feel kinda sorry...
i think KC has grown more since it became a city than STL did when the french started it, just look, in a little more than 100 years KC has gotten to what it took longer for STL to reach,
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

St. Louis City actually grew more, KCDevin. It reached 750,000 or so at it's peak. That is probably also as far as KCMO will ever get, given current development trends. However the Kansas City METRO area has the potential to surpass the St. Louis metro area. Our metro is growing about 12% per decade while their's is growing about 1%.

You definitely have to look at metro areas. They are the primary economic engine of the modern world and are becoming more important than states. One of the reasons that metro KC has so much potential is that it has a recovering urban areas AND thriving suburbs.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

It reached 750,000 or so at it's peak. That is probably also as far as KCMO will ever get

your sounding just like the idiot over at SSP from STL. KC will reach 1,000,000 i promise you 100%. We arent growing slowly, don't you ever take a look at the outer areas of KCMO? Tons of homes/lofts/apartments being built!
We are going to become more than STL can ever be! Our metro will be much bigger by size and people!
We will reach 750,000 people by oh say 2010 or 2020. We will reach 1,000,000 people by 2050 or 2070. I will live to see 2050 and I will prove you wrong!!!

KC will be superior by architecture, size, people, metro area, metro population, height, and some day density!
We have 313.5 square miles to fill in! Dont be so dang pesimistic! You are being the kind of person i see on the street, not confident in our great city.

Im not saying we will compare to Chicago, New York, or LA because we never ever will. I'm saying we will be as large as San Diego or Dallas. IT WILL HAPPEN! I promise you that!
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Devin, may I ask, what is with the hatred toward St Louis? A lot of Kansas Citians have a little rivalry with them, but damn.

KC will never reach 1,000,000. The only reason KCMO is growing at all is because of the northland, and the development up there is very spread out. Northland population growth is far greater than the overall KCMO growth, which means obviously there are still a lot of people flocking out of the urban core. Sorry, but 750,000 by 2010 is completely unrealistic. It's going to be a while before 500,000 is even reached. Devin, cities arent mold colonies. They don't grow exponentially on their own. If a city is going to boom like crazy, there needs to be a big reason. What would possibly attract 300,000 people to this city in 7 years?
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

well, that is if the growth rate doesnt change or if it rises. why dont you see KC getting to 1,000,000? some may not have though LA or SF would do that many years ago. Never say never.
as for STL, i don't like the people at all, they are really big headed IMO, they think they compare to Chicago, NYC or LA but they really only compare to us and Wichita (now). They talk about being the superior city in Missouri when in truth that should be and is KC. Sure we won't get as much attention from Jeff. City but that can't be helped. I think STL is way overestimate and we are too much underestimated.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

If KCMO did not annex any more land and the entire northland buit out and the vacant areas south of the river built out, KCMO might get 300k more residents, and that's really pushing it.

I think KCMO will be doing really well to reach the 600k mark becuause right now most of the northland growth is being cancled out by losses south of the river. I'm personally hoping that KCMO reaches 500k by 2010, and that's a pretty ambitous goal.

Devin, you gotta chill out man, get a few more years of urban studies in you and give some of the other members on here and SSP some respect. I know they don't all deserve it though.

As far as the KC vs StL thing goes, you are right, KC gets the short end of the stick, exactly why "METRO" matters. StL has over a million more people than KC on the Missouri side and those suburban voters pull a lot of weight. This is why KC has to grow on the Missouri side, either urban or suburban so KC can do more things locally and get more respect at both the state and fed levels.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I can't chill out until people (especially on SSP) chill out and realize that STL will never again be as good as KC, or any other cities.
I was nice enough last night to put in 54 more buildings for STL on SSP. According to SS.com it has 122 built highrises and 2 renovating, they also don't start beating us in height (in height and numbers) until our 15th to 20th tallest building, then their numbers come into play.
KC needs alot more respect and attention than it is getting, from other americans and from its own residents. KC is great, its the best city in the world IMO, i consider it a better city than NY and WDC. I've said that seeing NYC for the first time (and WDC) doesn't match up to me seeing KC every time I visit. I learn and see new things everytime I visit.
KC is greatly underestimated and it needs more attention than STL is getting.
We should also get more attention from Jeff. City, STL should only need help in preserving its history and short buildings.
People don't realise that KC is really and truly the Gateway to the West, people just think STL is cause they have the Arch and since the Lewis & Clark Expedition started there, but we were the last stop west for a long time, the Pony Express started near KC, the Oregon Trail ran through and started near KC, and the Santa Fe Trail started near KC. Anyhow thats off subject.
Maybe we wont reach 700k by 2010 but we will reach 800k by 2100 at the latest.

Just remember, if the world lasts that long, KC will have its borders far enough, then we will build till we are dense enough, then we have to build up (and below), and when we build up enough that will be our limit on population, which would be extremely high compared to now. I'm looking long term, very long term, but it will happen providing Jesus doesn't come by then (please don't blow up on me anyone for that remark).
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

Someone needs a group hug. That or I have been listening to Rent too much recently...
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

lol, I guess I don't get out too much, my mood is crazy and I'm not behaving like I should. I guess I need more time out doing other thngs than just the CPU :)
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

i just did the math and if you take the 2003 Estimates for KCK and KCMO it comes out as 590,395 :) cool
missourifan
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

KC and STL

Post by missourifan »

Hello everyone. Just found this website from a link provided on Skyscraperpage.com. First off, it is very cool of KC allowing the STL forumers (if thats even a word..LOL) to share this space :D ..thank you KC.

Two things that I want to point out that we should all be proud of,

First - I think both the KC & STL forumers (again, not sure if thats even a word..LOL) should be very proud of both of our cities/metro areas. I mean, we are stuck in the middle of the country, with no real natural draw..ie mountains, ocean, lakes..etc.etc. but both of our metro's continue to grow and are two of the largest (top 50) metros in the U.S and have stable and diversified economies...thats freakin awesome. :D

Second - We are both in a state that does not seem to be very forward thinking or condusive to really any type of fast/high growth...(just my opinion on that) and yet again we still continue to grow..once again..freakin awesome..LOL.

Just wanted to say hi to all my fellow metro Missouri city citizens...LOL

I also could not help but notice that KCDevin seems to have a real problem with St.Louis based on a few people that he/she has met here. Please dont hate the whole metro because you happen to have ran into a few d***heads that may have had a bad attitude.

Once again, I just wanted to say hello to everyone and just say that we should all be proud of our metro areas...(hell, any midwest metro area) We should not be putting each other down and degrading each other, we get plenty of that from the coasts and other parts of the country...lol.

Thats it for now I guess. Sorry if its a little messed up or does not make much sense but its like 6:30 in the morning on Labor day and I am sitting at work where nothing is going on, trying to stay awake until 8.. :shock:

Later[/color]

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

I also could not help but notice that KCDevin seems to have a real problem with St.Louis based on a few people that he/she has met here. Please dont hate the whole metro because you happen to have ran into a few d***heads that may have had a bad attitude.

It's ok, I don't have a problem with everyone from STL, just from the main city. In fact, my brother's girlfriend is from Hawk Point, MO. Heh, in fact, me and my bro were teasing her about the Chiefs whuppin' the rams just before her and bro went back to Hawk Point (she visits STL every week or two).
Anywho. I actually have no problem with the city or people. Just a few guys out there. I only say things because i'm either mad or have nothing to say in defense...
I'm glad KC created that forum, but from now we are both (both forums) have to lay off on each other.

Anyhow, welcome to the forums ;)
(BTW, To everyone at SSC, and SSP, I made peace with Jive so my arguements with him will stop ;))

I just wish I was back at SSP, only there is a minor flaw that we will have to work around or fix. (nothing bad though)
tw
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

what's the link..

Post by tw »

to ssc and ssp?
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

I hear ya missourifan, nice first post. This state could do so much, it has so much potential. Awesome state with caves, ozarks, branson and two large metro areas and more.

MO blows away just about every other state in the Midwest. Now if we could just fix our roads and Downtowns ;).
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

skyscrapercity and skyscraperpage
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Hey Missourifan...this could ruffle a lot of feathers here....
ust wanted to say hi to all my fellow metro Missouri city citizens...LOL
You're lucky the moderaters are "Missouri" people :lol: