KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by im2kull »

shinatoo wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:42 am
im2kull wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:10 am
shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am What a stupid issue to pivot on. So many issues facing this city and your going to change your vote over the name of a street?
If they can't get such a minor, "stupid" issue correct.. Then how are you going to be able to trust them to run a city..
To say it more clearly, pulling your support from a candidate over the renaming of a road is stupid. Voting for changing the name of a road is not a sign of incompetence.

Politicians can make choices on minor issues that you disagree with and still be strong, competent, leaders on major ones.
Let me put this in layman's terms for you:

As a politician you have a due duty to listen, understand, and support your constituents. Their views are what matter first and foremost. Not yours. When 95% of who you represent oppose a change, then you do not disregard that opposition and force through the change. Ever. THAT IS INCOMPETENT LEADERSHIP. That is in fact, NOT leadership. Therefore, you clearly do not deserve to be treated as a person who deserves to be further elected or appointed to your governance position. Henceforth the opposition to those politicians by their constituents. This isn't rocket science.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

im2kull wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:54 am

If they can't get such a minor, "stupid" issue correct.. Then how are you going to be able to trust them to run a city..
To say it more clearly, pulling your support from a candidate over the renaming of a road is stupid. Voting for changing the name of a road is not a sign of incompetence.

Politicians can make choices on minor issues that you disagree with and still be strong, competent, leaders on major ones.

As a politician you have a due duty to listen, understand, and support your constituents. Their views are what matter first and foremost. Not yours. When 95% of who you represent oppose a change, then you do not disregard that opposition and force through the change. Ever. THAT IS INCOMPETENT LEADERSHIP. That is in fact, NOT leadership. Therefore, you clearly do not deserve to be treated as a person who deserves to be further elected or appointed to your governance position. Henceforth the opposition to those politicians by their constituents. This isn't rocket science.
None of this true. Specifically:
-You are a layman. Positioning yourself as otherwise insults all of our intelligence
-Politicians have absolutely NO requirement or duty to listen to voters
-Constituents' views do NOT matter
-95% of people do not agree on ANYTHING
-Even if they do, gov't officials are NOT required to listen or govern to that opinion
-You don't define leadership
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 am LOL, 95%?

OK, good scientific polls happening there.
When I saw the word "Facebook" for the poll I knew that was worthless
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm I think my biggest issues are pushing for the return of historic tax credits from the state, transportation funding at the federal level, successful navigation of the KCI redo, and job creation. I saw that Steve Miller had Tim Kaine at one of his events recently. He also has state MODOT experience. I don’t know if any of the other candidates will have significant influence for those issues at the state and federal level.
I'm totally with you on the state HTCs, but I guarantee that the MOLeg does not care at all what the mayor of Kansas City thinks about them.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

im2kull wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:54 am

I don't need you to put anything in laymen's terms for me. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't understand you.

And if you are going to quote me, please don't edit my post.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:42 am
WSPanic wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:50 am LOL, 95%?

OK, good scientific polls happening there.
When I saw the word "Facebook" for the poll I knew that was worthless
Whether if be Facebook polls, or interaction with constituents, there appeared to be significant opposition. Most likely, members of Council received letters, email, and phone calls on the issue. That was the feedback they got. Canady and Wagner appeared to have gone out and walked the Paseo talking to residents about this issue. That is outreach. Canady, Wagner, and Hall all say the vast majority of feedback they got was against the renaming.

What is strange is that the City didn't commission and release a public poll. The Star didn't, and none of the TV stations did either. So we have what we have. Perhaps James had a private poll done, and that is why he worried about a public vote on the issue. He may have decided not to release the poll findings for that reason.

Eric Wesson covers the black community, so I think he would probably know how people felt. His column reflects there was opposition within that community as well. He pointed out the failure of the Council to listen to constituents, and hold enough public hearings to get their feedback. He pointed out deviation from rules and process outlined in the City charter. He pointed out the peril politicians may face when voters mistrust them.

I am only reporting what I have observed. Don't take this for advocacy.

One should also not take opposition to renaming the Paseo as opposition to honoring Dr. King. That doesn't appear to be the issue. Residents appear to be fine with honoring him. The opposition is simply to renaming the Paseo. Everyone seems fine with the terminal, or a numbered east-west street.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

WSPanic wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:40 am
-You are a layman. Positioning yourself as otherwise insults all of our intelligence
-Even if they do, gov't officials are NOT required to listen or govern to that opinion
Politicians, who continually ignore their constituents, do so at their peril. They usually become ex-politicians.

Many long-serving politicians pay attention to letters, email, phone calls.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:18 pm Politicians, who continually ignore their constituents, do so at their peril. They usually become ex-politicians.

One politican I voted against ignored me in person. I was talking to them, they were clearly listening and they turned around halfway through and walked away without saying anything. It couldn't have been more clear how much they cared.

If that's what they thought of someone they represented they certainly weren't getting my vote.

They lost by 132 votes. That's close enough that if they treated others the same way their attitude could have lost them the election.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You are absolutely right. Their attitude towards constituents can cause a loss by just a few votes. They often don't realize this. Long-serving politician staffs say that their candidate often keeps winning (even where their party might be outnumbered) because they are excellent at dealing with constituents. They are kind even if they are being shouted at, or they disagree. They recognize the person's point-of-view. They say hello every time they see them.

A constituent is every bit as deserving of being listened to even if they don't vote for the office holder.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

FangKC wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 pm You are absolutely right. Their attitude towards constituents can cause a loss by just a few votes. They often don't realize this. Long-serving politician staffs say that their candidate often keeps winning (even where their party might be outnumbered) because they are excellent at dealing with constituents. They are kind even if they are being shouted at, or they disagree. They recognize the person's point-of-view. They say hello every time they see them.

A constituent is every bit as deserving of being listened to even if they don't vote for the office holder.
I'm glad somebody gets it. People don't just love me or hate me for no reason. My actions have consequences. And Rewards.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:23 am
FangKC wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:27 pm You are absolutely right. Their attitude towards constituents can cause a loss by just a few votes. They often don't realize this. Long-serving politician staffs say that their candidate often keeps winning (even where their party might be outnumbered) because they are excellent at dealing with constituents. They are kind even if they are being shouted at, or they disagree. They recognize the person's point-of-view. They say hello every time they see them.

I'm glad somebody gets it. People don't just love me or hate me for no reason. My actions have consequences. And Rewards.
:lol: =D> For whatever reason, this reminded me of the time you claimed to be the mayor.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

FangKC wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:18 pm
WSPanic wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:40 am

Politicians, who continually ignore their constituents, do so at their peril. They usually become ex-politicians.

Of course they do. That's why we have elections. It's still not a "requirement".

And I'm guessing the elected officials heard from both sides on this. As for the reasons that this wasn't polled - I can think of a bunch. The Star has no money, local polls are historically inaccurate, this is a limited group that wouldn't really be large enough to be sampled, etc.

I'm not saying that there wasn't a majority opposition. I'm just saying it probably wasn't 95%. And even if it was 95%, there is no obligation for the government to legislate by public referendum.

And if IM2Kull is mayor, I'm moving.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m kind of worried about this next mayor, whoever it is. Sly kind of got a free pass for the most part because he replaced the worst mayor in the cities history. There are some devisive issues coming up and I’m not sure councilpeople will want to follow a former colleague turned mayor. An outsider might not have it any easier though.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am There are some devisive issues coming up...
Like what? Abortion? Gun control?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:18 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:28 am There are some devisive issues coming up...
Like what? Abortion? Gun control?
???

We have the airport that is still in limbo with councilpeople still calling on competitive bidders, a citizens initiative to cut TIF financing maximums, affordable housing planning, backup financing ideas when/if Main streetcar doesn’t get federal approval... enough?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I don't consider any of those truly divisive.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:09 pm I don't consider any of those truly divisive.
So, your post was to question the degree of devisiveness? I’m sorry, what’s your point?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:09 pm I don't consider any of those truly divisive.
On the surface no. However, I am willing to bet you 3 Guy Fieri tacos that one of those issues will get blown out of proportion.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:14 pm
On the surface no. However, I am willing to bet you 3 Guy Fieri tacos that one of those issues will get blown out of proportion.
Sure, and then they end up passing anyway. :roll:
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://www.kansascity.com/article225250785.html

Article in today's paper summing up various complaints and issues from across various residents they are looking to next Mayor to help solve.

-Not fans of "TIF-ing"
-Not enough public transit
-Taxes too high
-Housing is too expensive
-City Services are poor
-Schools are not good
-East Side and Northland residents surveyed feel they're not getting their voices heard. One is major cost center, the other likely is a positive cash flow to KC (but continued low density sprawl may come back to haunt KC in the future with high infrastructure costs).

A lot of these really boils down to the fact the city is too spread out and not enough funds to go around.

A lot of this is very contradictory - people mention how they like downtown, but not TIFs and out of town developers that helped make DT what it is. Same with housing - without TIFs, it doesn't make sense to build affordable housing. Same with transit- need better transit but people are against taxes to fund it. City services cannot take care of the huge amount of land they are required to cover.