Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17509
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 pm


User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17509
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:59 am

Justus is polling #1 at 15% and Alissia Canady is #2 at 10%, but 34% are undecided. The rest of the candidates are single digits. Poll by Jeff Roe, 500 sample size. Not very reliable, but possibly the only poll to leak?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17509
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by DaveKCMO » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Any new Rag takes on the race? I've attended two forums and listened to the Northeast one online and I'm convinced we're still in for a Justus/Lucas match-up.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13997
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by FangKC » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 pm

I am wondering though how long it will take for the polls to adjust to the Paseo renaming issue. From what I'm hearing, a lot of Old Northeast residents who were supporting some candidates have now switched support away from any candidate that voted for the renaming. People are really pissed off over how it was done, and they will be deliberately voting against people who might have traditionally had their support, but voted for the renaming. It certainly has hurt Justus, Reed, and Lucas here, and helped Canady. I'm seeing movement back to Wagner, and some of the non-council candidates.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6305
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by shinatoo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am

What a stupid issue to pivot on. So many issues facing this city and your going to change your vote over the name of a street?
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
WSPanic
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3652
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by WSPanic » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am

shinatoo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am
What a stupid issue to pivot on. So many issues facing this city and your going to change your vote over the name of a street?
Won't this and the airport be wrapped up together in an "our city's process is broken and corrupt" argument?

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6305
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by shinatoo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 am

WSPanic wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am
shinatoo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am
What a stupid issue to pivot on. So many issues facing this city and your going to change your vote over the name of a street?
Won't this and the airport be wrapped up together in an "our city's process is broken and corrupt" argument?
The airport? Yes.

Naming a street? Sub-Sub-Minor issue.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3240
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by smh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 am

But isn't the airport working out as planned-ish?

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6305
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by shinatoo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 pm

smh wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 am
But isn't the airport working out as planned-ish?
It probably is, I more meant that it's an issue that should be examined and would be a good reason to support, or drop support.

Renaming a road is not.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3892
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by grovester » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 pm

How about pandering to special interests?

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3240
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by smh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:25 pm

shinatoo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 pm
smh wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 am
But isn't the airport working out as planned-ish?
It probably is, I more meant that it's an issue that should be examined and would be a good reason to support, or drop support.

Renaming a road is not.
Ahh yes, my bad. Agreed!

alejandro46
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: King in the North(Land)

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by alejandro46 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:59 pm

Development and affordable housing - Lucas seems very passionate about this. I appreciate that. However, I do not agree with some of his proposals, such as a 15% affordable unit minimum that will greatly stymie new development. Justice seems more pro smart-development to me.

Don't really care about the street name. Waste of money to re-name it. I think the DUI may hurt Lucas even though it seems like a minor issue (he was sleeping in the car). The Canady parking video (https://fox4kc.com/2016/08/26/kansas-ci ... ired-tags/) imo is a huge blemish on her - seems so entitled & ridiculous. Plus even more radical positions that Lucas on development.

If Shields is enforced by both Kander and Sly that seems like it would shift the race hugely in her favor.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Critical_Mass
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 677
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by Critical_Mass » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm

Shields? Do you mean Justus?

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4708
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by beautyfromashes » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:45 pm

I think my biggest issues are pushing for the return of historic tax credits from the state, transportation funding at the federal level, successful navigation of the KCI redo, and job creation. I saw that Steve Miller had Tim Kaine at one of his events recently. He also has state MODOT experience. I don’t know if any of the other candidates will have significant influence for those issues at the state and federal level.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17509
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by DaveKCMO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:49 pm

FangKC wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 pm
I am wondering though how long it will take for the polls to adjust to the Paseo renaming issue. From what I'm hearing, a lot of Old Northeast residents who were supporting some candidates have now switched support away from any candidate that voted for the renaming.
You mean the lower-than-average-turnout Northeast? Or some new and powerful voting block we haven't heard of? :roll:

Polling will be hard to come by. The Star won't do it, and you'll only hear internal campaign polls if it's super good news for one candidate or there's a leak.

alejandro46
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: King in the North(Land)

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by alejandro46 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 pm

Critical_Mass wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm
Shields? Do you mean Justus?

Yes. Was typing fast when at work.

Shields is literally the worst. I will vote for anyone BUT her.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 13997
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by FangKC » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:49 pm
FangKC wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 pm
I am wondering though how long it will take for the polls to adjust to the Paseo renaming issue. From what I'm hearing, a lot of Old Northeast residents who were supporting some candidates have now switched support away from any candidate that voted for the renaming.
You mean the lower-than-average-turnout Northeast? Or some new and powerful voting block we haven't heard of? :roll:

Polling will be hard to come by. The Star won't do it, and you'll only hear internal campaign polls if it's super good news for one candidate or there's a leak.
Your point is well-taken. I'm just reporting observations. Residents appear to be organizing to do new voter registration, and planning to go door-to-door.

I don't underestimate intent anymore. We've had enough surprise elections to discount upsets.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17509
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm

So here's my biggest question: Is anyone here supporting Steve Miller?

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4708
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by beautyfromashes » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:24 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm
So here's my biggest question: Is anyone here supporting Steve Miller?
I think he’s a good candidate. All the others seem pretty much the same.

User avatar
im2kull
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3279
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by im2kull » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:10 am

shinatoo wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am
What a stupid issue to pivot on. So many issues facing this city and your going to change your vote over the name of a street?
It has nothing to do with the literal significance (or insignificance) of the name change, and everything to do with the disregard for the people's (and their constituents) opinion. Why would ANYONE vote for someone who won't represent them?

Besides, if they can't get such a minor, "stupid" issue correct.. Then how are you going to be able to trust them to run a city.. With all its complex, major issues??

A: You won't trust them, because they've shown their incompetence.

Post Reply